Ammania senegalinsis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would love some of this! I saw some in Glenc's thread..and it looks amazing, can anyone tell me more about it?

Hi there blazeyreef! Ammania senegalinsis is a real pretty plant if you can get it to grow for you. Kind of a tough one to get going. It will get quite big, to big for my 20 gallon but I love the colour so I'm growing it in the hope that it will motivate me to get a bigger tank to grow more of it! It will go a real nice red in high light, 3+ WPG. Also if you can keep your N03 low, under 10ppm it will colour up even nicer. It grows ok without C02, but definitely grows healthier and faster with CO2. My water is very hard and the Ammania dosn't seem to mind. Great plant, a bit hard to get it going but definitely worth the effort. I got mine from aquariumplants.com. I'll send you some in the spring if you haven't got it by then. Also don't let it grow out of the water as it will shed it's underwater growth and concentrate all it's energy on growing new leaves above water, which it will do quite readily if you let it!

Take a lot of patience pills and don't call me til June. Tough plant to get going, especially when you get it in emersed form and need to transition it. Don't be fooled, it looks totally different in the two stages and takes a long time, going on 2 months for me. It is and I think will eventually grow but this is a tough plant. I think medium high to high light is needed as well as a good substrate. Be patient and don't mess with it once you get it going is my best advice. Root tabs every couple months and should grow well once it gets a good root system.

Glenc said:
Hi there blazeyreef! Ammania senegalinsis is a real pretty plant if you can get it to grow for you. Kind of a tough one to get going. It will get quite big, to big for my 20 gallon but I love the colour so I'm growing it in the hope that it will motivate me to get a bigger tank to grow more of it! It will go a real nice red in high light, 3+ WPG. Also if you can keep your N03 low, under 10ppm it will colour up even nicer. It grows ok without C02, but definitely grows healthier and faster with CO2. My water is very hard and the Ammania dosn't seem to mind. Great plant, a bit hard to get it going but definitely worth the effort. I got mine from aquariumplants.com. I'll send you some in the spring if you haven't got it by then. Also don't let it grow out of the water as it will shed it's underwater growth and concentrate all it's energy on growing new leaves above water, which it will do quite readily if you let it!
I would love some in the spring (even though its like 60 here :roll: ) well I have 3wpg, diy co2, dose ferts... all that stuff :D

GlenC- do you have any pics? I'm using 2x65W Coralife pc strip over a 55 gallon- from your description this kinda sounds like the minimum! LOL. PM me whenever you want me to Paypal you some shipping $ for clippings. If I don't screw up my discus tank before then, maybe I will have some decent clippings to reciprocate!

Hey guys, I'll ship plants to you both in the spring. Gonna have to wait until then because
it's below zero up here now, last time I sent plants to the states it took 9 days. The Ammania would be toast for sure. You can't send plants overnight to the states because it costs around 80 dollars, not worth it. Also, last time I tried to overnight plants to the US and was willing to pay the high price, they wanted to open and inspect the package on this end, which I am not going to do. You are not supposed to be shipping plants in the mail to the states period, I get them in by saying the contents are "gift-used aquarium products" without over night shipping. Best I can do is 5 day air, which took 9 days last time.
The other reason you have to wait a bit is I don't have enough to share just yet, once I get moved I plan on growing more of this beauty, gladly give you some when I have more to spare. :)
Here is a couple of shots of my Ammania senegalinsis, a real beauty, worth the effort :)

Attachments

• picture_1228_569.jpg
    picture_1228_569.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 16
I wish mine would do that then shipping would be easy. I haven't gotten mine to fully transition yet. I hope it will take off better once it gets some established roots. I will watch my LFS for some more although they only had in the emersed form. Any suggestions on what I can do to try and get this plant to take off? Maybe we can get a few members to get it going once we figure out how to grow it.

img_748884_0_e6453b2d3658578c3a9b827161c5ced3.jpg

It is coming along, just not very fast like Glenc's did. Maybe I will get it to take off and be able to ship on this side. I don't know how well this stuff is going to ship in it's submerged form since it ships most often emersed.

Very nice, you guys. GlenC- I'm patient. I won't waste your time until I'm confident I won't mess up my planted discus tank LOL. I really like your pics guys- great job!

Also, I think my sick ones is due to not enough light. I did put some stems in my 75G. Will see how they turn out. :)

Back
Top Bottom