Ammonia and Nitrate in tap water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireh703

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I've just moved to a place that has well water surrounded by farms and so the water from the tap reads 1.0ppm ammonia and 5.0ppm nitrate. What is a sustainable way of dealing with this?

I have Aqueon Water Conditioner but that only mentions getting rid of chlorine and ammonia so I presume that wouldn't work because it wont lower the nitrate? And I don't want to buy pretreated water because it'll make water changes and top ups expensive. And I'm confused by Ammo Lock because it is temporary.

TIA.

A strong cycle should bring down ammonia quite quickly. Nitrate is fairly normal in tap water, you have about the same as i do.

Nitrate is safe upto quite high concentrations, 40ppm or higher. Dont worry about nitrate.

Ammonia isnt as toxic as is commonly perceived, unless its combined with a high pH. Prime claims to detoxify Ammonia for a day or so, using that should make the water safe while your cycle gets rid of it. I would trust Prime more than the aqueon water conditioner to do this.

You arent in any different a situation to people whos water is treated with chloramine rather than chlorine and they tend to manage just fine.

Back
Top Bottom