Ammonia dropping w/o nitrites ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speed

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting a fishless cycle, 4 days into it. Lots of research done & owner of 2 larger tanks but have an odd issue. Its a 20 gallon tank, hob filter. Water lvl is dropped to make more "splash", lights running on normal schedule. I am dosing daily with ammonia. Day 1 8ppm, after dropping a lot on 2 day re added to 5ppm, and adding daily to maintain it. There hasnt been any "spikes" other than me adding it & it dropping. Doses again today to 5ppm, 9 hrs later it was at 1ppm so again redosed. I am having 0 Nitrites & 20 nitrates which is strictly from my tap water. So where is the ammonia going ? I have no live plants btw. I dont think its cycled because i have 0 & trites & trates, & i cant break down 5ppm ammonia in 8-12 hrs yet, but within 18-24 hrs, its gone & re-adding. I have used dirty (bacterial) water from filters on established tanks also. Any thoughts on whats going on with ammonia & where its going ? API test kit being used & not outdated.

Are you sure you're doing the nitrate test properly? Did you use any bacterial additives or anything (like Safe Start)? Zeolite in filter?

By the way you should dial your ammonia dosing way, way back. At this point you have probably dosed enough for entire cycle. The "standard" is to clear 4ppm in 24 hours and this is already an outrageous amount of ammonia; you do not need to be clearing 5ppm in 12 hours.

It's really hard to evaluate any problem whatsoever at only 4 days into a cycle. I would suggest you stop making yourself crazy with testing. How much ammonia have you added at this point? 20ppm? I would not add any more at all. Maybe 1ppm every 3 days.

Yes the test and proper timing is being done with API test kits. Im adding ammonia because I will be back at 0 within 24 hrs. Where it going with 0 nitrites & 0 nitrates..idk. I re added to 5ppm tonight & by tomorrow night it will prolly be back to near zero. Never run into this with my 2 larger tanks. Just clueless right now whats going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is mysterious. It must be going somewhere.

I realize it goes down after 24 hours, but since you mentioned very heavy dosing (like dosing after 9 hours), I'm concerned with how much has been added at this point. At the very least you should stop when you see nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom