Ammonia drops after 24 hours but not nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH? This is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be. Sometimes it changes when the water degasses. For example, the PH out of my tap is 8.4 but it gasses off to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is.

The PH drops in the tank is likely due to the fast rate of ammonia conversion. Once you add fish they won't produce anywhere near that much ammonia so the PH should level off. It's usually best to not mess with PH unless you have to. At most you can add some crushed coral to the filter to keep the PH stable. When cycling with ammonia PH drops are common but things usually level off once you have fish.

Have you tried leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH? This is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be. Sometimes it changes when the water degasses. For example, the PH out of my tap is 8.4 but it gasses off to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is.

The PH drops in the tank is likely due to the fast rate of ammonia conversion. Once you add fish they won't produce anywhere near that much ammonia so the PH should level off. It's usually best to not mess with PH unless you have to. At most you can add some crushed coral to the filter to keep the PH stable. When cycling with ammonia PH drops are common but things usually level off once you have fish.

Well my pH was stable at around 6.6 for a few days so I got my fish a few days ago, everything seems fine at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom