Ammonia is dropping and nitrAtes are present, but no nitrItes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firteen888

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

So it appears that something is finally starting to happen with my cycle, but it's weird. My ammonia dropped from about 3/4ppm to 1/1.5ppm but there's still no signs of nitrites (I've been cycling for almost a month now). What's weird is, I'm seeing signs of nitrAtes! There's not much, only about 2-3ppm, but they're still present. Is it even possible to see nitrates before nitrites? What does this mean for my cycle, am I on the right track or did I mess up somewhere?

Thanks again for all your help.

firteen888 said:
Hey all,

So it appears that something is finally starting to happen with my cycle, but it's weird. My ammonia dropped from about 3/4ppm to 1/1.5ppm but there's still no signs of nitrites (I've been cycling for almost a month now). What's weird is, I'm seeing signs of nitrAtes! There's not much, only about 2-3ppm, but they're still present. Is it even possible to see nitrates before nitrites? What does this mean for my cycle, am I on the right track or did I mess up somewhere?

Thanks again for all your help.

I saw nitrates before I saw nitrites. Don't worry... In 3 days or so the nitrites will arrive in full force! If your cycling with fish... It's a nightmare. If your cycling fishless, yay you! Crisis averted.

I'm doing a fish-less cycle and have been waiting for nitrites forever. I hope you're right about 3 days, I will continue to wait patiently.

firteen888 said:
I'm doing a fish-less cycle and have been waiting for nitrites forever. I hope you're right about 3 days, I will continue to wait patiently.

For me, I never actually saw nitrite during my cycling. But i probably assumed it was cycled since it has being 4 weeks! If homedog is true, I'm super lucky because I didn't add my fish for another week or 2! Haha but onto topic! U are close to the end ur of fishless cycle!!

Nice! How would I know when my cycle has ended if I never see nitrites?

firteen888 said:
Nice! How would I know when my cycle has ended if I never see nitrites?

When your tank can convert 4 ppm of ammonia to 0 in 24 hours or less, you have no nitrites, and around 20 nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom