Ammonia/Nitrate spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
Upgraded 2 weeks ago to a 125 from a 75. I had a Fluval 406 and 305 that were cycled that I put on the new tank. Then added another Fluval 305 that had not been cycled.

I added 6 new fish. All smaller.

Came home today and my role fish who I have has a long time (2 years) was dead.

Ammonia is at .25-.50 ppm ..hard to read exactly in the lighting I have.
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrates are at 60 ppm

Never had ammonia or nitrate this high. Doing a water change right now.

I'm assuming it is from the new filter cycling and the new fish I added...

Anyone think anything different or should I do anything to fix it ? I know is have to wait the cycle out....but anything else ?

You must have cleaned everytbing in the tank when you did the transfer. All you can do is wait, use a good water conditioner like prime and water changes

You kept the media wet when you transphered it right? You didnt fill the tank then put in the water condictioner did you?? Chlorine kills your bacteria.

Ya the media in my canister filters still had all the water in them. I didn't clean them when I transferred them over.

I did refill tank and put lots of Prime in it .....would that still screw it up ?

If any tank water got into the canisters before the prime was added rhat might've done it. Idk I cant say. Mini cycle maybe?? My tanks just went through one.

What size tanks are these two filters meant for?? Were both filters cycled?

Just saw this. My ammonia spiked one night at 4 ppm....next day it was back at 0 and has stayed there so I'm thinking a mini cycle of sorts.

The Fluval 306's are up to 75 gallons and I have 2....the 406 is up to 100 and I have 1.

One of the 306's wasn't cycled when I set it up....but I thought, maybe I was wrong, that the other two would make up for it and there wouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom