Ammonia, Nitrites, Algae(?) = HELP please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtwm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have two 10 gallon aquariums in need of help. Tank 1 was set up the first week of April, 2015. It's a Tetra aquarium kit with a 2-10i filter. We cycled for about 6 weeks with a gourami and 5 danios. Two danios died. About 2 -3 weeks ago, I added 1 blue mystery snail and 5 more danios. Total fish population today is: 8 danios, 1 gourami, 1 snail, plastic plants, gravel. All are doing great and seem very happy.

Up until last week, ammonia, pH, etc were at good levels, but the water has never been completely clear. I have finally determined that the afternoon sun is hitting the tank somewhat. I plan to move the tank this week, so that will hopefully help. The guy at LFS told me to just keep doing partial water changes twice a week until cloudiness resolved. After PWC, water is fairly clear for about 2 days, then the cloudiness sets back in. It's not bad - but it's not clear like my other tank. Very small amounts of algae have shown up on the bubbler tube, but the snail took care of that. I vacuum the tank when I do water changes to get rid of food and waste. I have been using Tetra Safe Start (w/ live filter bacteria), Aqua Safe (dechlorinates and conditions), and Easy Balance (maintains water chemistry and pH) as advised by the information that came with tank.

I changed the filter the middle of last week, and washed plants and heater (in case algae was on them). Since then, have been having trouble with ammonia, nitrites, etc. Not bad, but seems to be getting slightly worse. I did a 35-40% PWC also. Readings today are: Nitrate-10, nitrite 1.0, water hardness- 75, Alkalinity 80, pH- 7.8, ammonia, between .25 and .5. I have read so much conflicting information, but I now think that I should NOT have changed the filter yet due to good bacteria. I had been just rinsing in water removed from tank. But - what's done is done. I ordered some Seachem Prime that will be delivered tomorrow, along with a bag of filter floss. I've listed everything that's been done (including my mistakes). There's a lot to learn, but I really don't want my fish to pay for my mistakes. I am planning to order some live plants for the aquarium. What else can I do to stabilize the tank - and maintain it in the future?

This post is incredibly long, so I will address Tank 2 in a separate post. Looking forward to advice about filters, water changes, chemicals, etc from those that have made mistakes and learned how to correct them. Thanks!

Its sound like you knocked out your beneficial bacteria and are going through a mini cycle...I always rip about 25% off my old filter and shove it inside the new one when I change mine (I have a whisper 10 hob filter) and I always wait a couple weeks after changing filter to do a gravel vacuum...but I am still fairly new at this also...as far as the algae try keeping the lights off or to an absolute minimum if tou have live plants...I had a brown algae bloom over one of my tanks and I realized the lights were left on too long...my 2 mystery snails quickly got it under control after 1 week no lights (I have only artificial plants) keep up on the water changes and great job ordering the prime...it is the only kind I will use amd ive tried a good number of them...good luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When you changed the filter you put a serious hurt on your cycle. Basically your 6 weeks of cycling just got thrown in the trash.

Next time, add a new pad a month before taking out the old. This ensures the new pad has plenty of BB on it so it doesn't hurt your cycle.

There's really no need to change the pad unless it really is falling apart though. I've had filter pads on my tanks for 6-7 months that are still going strong with monthly cleaning. Make sure to only clean them in tank water! The big companies want you to change it often so it uncycles the tank and you could lose some fish plus buying more pads making them more money.

Along with the paragraph above you don't need to waste your money on all the chemicals. Just have a liquid test kit and your bottle of water conditioner. No need for all those other little bottles. I got a box of them from when I was a newbie and now don't use any of them. It's all just a way for those companies to make money off you.

Any other questions please ask!

Caleb

2nd that!

My sponges last several years! Only the floss/micro pad get regular changes. Even they last a fair time.
Everything else stays put!

I've ha my tank for over two years and only changed the filter pad once because I was moving. I clean my filter pad every time I clean the tank by swishing it around in the old tank water to get rid of loose build up. My tank is sparkling clean and everyone seems good.
The idea of putting the new filter pad in with the old one a month before changing seems like a very good idea too. I will have to remember this for when my current filter pad begins to wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Buying new filters = marketing scam! Unless your filter is falling apart do not throw it away. Simply rinse the filter in tank water when doing water changes. I've had the same filters for almost 2 years on my tropical tank, and all of my nitrite, nitrates, ammonia are 0.

Buy yourself a test kit and test your water parameters to work out what has gone out of balance and then combat that with the correct product. Some beneficial bacteria in a bottle will help to jump-start things again as well.

Back
Top Bottom