ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andreahp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon tank running for about 6 weeks. I cycled it with goldfish (no longer in tank), added 8 fish after 4 weeks (6 neon tetras & 2 spotted corys), then another 6 fish 5 days later (2 zebra danios, 2 white clouds & 2 black skirt tetras) because the water conditions were good (I have the Api master tester). The weekend after I added the 2nd batch of fish, I gave them frozen food (a cube each of blood worms & brine shrimp) but it was way too much. I did a small water change a few days ago but there seemed to be constant sediment in the water so I did a larger one. Now the ammonia level is up to .5 after being .25 yesterday. The water is now clear and nitrite level is zero - I'm thinking I removed too much bacteria and wondered whether the tank would benefit from using ammonia remover in the filter? The fish all seem to be doing fine - eating and swimming, etc.

I have tried ammonia remover before and it never actually worked. I was then told that ammonia remover is really just a chemical that doesn't need to be added to your tank. I threw mine away and I just do frequent water changes. IMO when you have something spike like that I just assume 1 water change isn't going to "fix" it, it is going to take multiple water changes. So, i do lots of small water changes every day until the problem is fixed. I've only been doing this for a year so I hope someone with more experience also responds to this lol. I would be curious to know if i'm going about this all wrong hahaha. I currently have a gnarly nitrate problem in my tank (i just had a baby and she has gotten between me and my fish so they have been a little neglected the last couple of weeks). I've been doing 15 gallon water changes every day (i have a 55 gal). good luck!

So I assume you've dealt with something similar to this and smaller, more frequent changes did the trick for you? I know water quality is very important but I'm so afraid to remove too much beneficial bacteria. BTW congrats on your baby!

You're cycle is still new. Adding that many fish at one time and then another batch only 5 days later more than likely cause the ammonia spike. The beneficial bacteria needs time to catch up. The best way to approach adding fish to a newly cycled tank (depends on size) is to add just a couple at a time (but since its a 46g) you could add about 4-5 for a small school. After adding the first fish are added, wait a day or two and check your parameters. Before adding more fish you should wait one to two weeks and just add them slowly like that so you don't overthrow the bacteria you have built up. Since you already have all the fish in there, I would just do a smaller waterchange once a day (without vacuuming the gravel) until the levels balance back out.

you won't remove any of the beneficial bacteria by doing water changes. you lose bacteria when you change the filter media or vacuum the gravel too much. do a nice big water change then follow up with frequent 30%+ water changes daily until your cycle regulates again.

Back
Top Bottom