Ammonia Spike...never happened before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sakari

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okey Dokey...30g freshwater tank..established for 4yrs+...we are running an AquaClear 110 ( more than enough filtration)...currently have the following fish: HUGE sailfin pleco, tiny tetra, algae eater, emerald cat, orander and a black moor...fairly religious about pH testing, but not ammonia...have been, shall I say, a little lax in the feeding dept...usually every 2 days...think the lg.pleco ate my other black moor and my panda cat...no remmnants or skeletons to be found...added a new blk moor, yesterday, and fed them...notice about 1hr later the water was really cloudy...tested pH, a little high 7.6 and then I tested the ammonia... it was at .50...have not tested the ammonia since adding the "goldfish"... changed 5g of water and my husband cleaned up the gravel, a bit, and the filter and about 7 more gallons of water...pH was still 7.6 and the ammonia went UP??? Now at 2.0ppm....What??? Need some advice before my tank becomes a mortuary:( Did have some Prime...not sure how old it is...also, my ammonia teat kit is 4yrs old ( 01/2005 ) Could the test kit be giving false readings? Should I test my tap water for ammonia, too? We have very hard well water:confused:

I would first either take a water sample to an lfs or get a new test kit.. being 4 years old, you may be getting a false positive reading... or you could try testing some distilled water with it, if it gets a 0 reading, its probably ok, but id still either test it with another kit or have somebody else for re-assurance...

Thankx for the advice...chkd the ammonia level this morning, before I left for work...it's down to 0.25ppm...fish seem fine...did test my tap water...it's ok...I do have distilled water for my fountain, so I'll chk tonite & will also pick up a new test kit today...according to our lsf, we probably lost alot of good bacteria in our filter....no one EVER told us to clean/rinse in dirty tank water...we have always used tap water:nono:...now we will know better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom