ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike215

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I have done a ton of research but can't seem to get over this ammonia spike.

I have a 5 gallon tank with one betta and am using a sponge filter. The tank has been established for 9 or 10 months.

We went away for two weeks and I used an automatic feeder. I think most of it ended up on the substrate. When we got back my ammonia was at least 8ppm, probably higher. I vacuumed the gravel and have been doing 50% water changes for four days now and have only gotten the ammonia to come down to 4-5 ppm.

Tap water is 0 ppm ammonia and ph is 7.6. Water temp 80 degrees. I treat the water with prime and also used ammo lock. Could these agents possibly be messing with the ammonia test?

Your fish was still alive in 8ppm ammonia? Maybe the prime and ammo lock is all that is keeping it alive, i cant see how they would effect the test result. What test kit are you using?

Yes, the fish seems fine. Acting totally normal. I am using an API ammonia test kit (the vial with 8 drops each of two solutions.) I am also using API quick start with the water changes.

Well, the API test kit detects total ammonia (which includes ammonium) and not just the free ammonia, which is the dangerous kind. So it is also reading the ammonia detoxified by the prime and ammo lock.

What are your other water parameters? Has your cycle completely crashed? Taking account of water changes, are your nitrates rising day on day?

Is there anything else in the tank that might have died? Maybe a snail?

Might your water test be faulty?

All i can suggest is you carry on as you are doing. Water changes with prime and a bacterial booster.

Back
Top Bottom