Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark the fence

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best way to keep ammonia leaves down in my quarantine tank? Have been doing regular water changes with no reduction have put in some microorganism today but don't think it will help much as I'm dosing with copper to cure the dreaded ich. Any advice please.

A Picasso a clown and a royal grammar really don't want to lose them but keeping them out of the DT for 10 weeks seems like I'm losing the battle. Their hardly eating at all

Hopefully they will make it. Did you cycle that tank before you put the fish in?

No just heat light and a sponge filter I was told at the lfs that there's no point as the copper will kill all the bacteria anyhow and as long as I kept up with the water changes things should be ok. The fish were in a bad way. Tried to treat them in the DT with reef safe treatment so by the time that hadn't worked it was all action stations.

I would do larger water changes and feed minimally. It seems odd that it would not go down after a water change though. Some ammonia, nitrite and /or nitrate has to be coming out and what is going in should not have anything. What are your levels? Also, what is in the QT (any sand, rock, etc)? Are you cleaning the filter regularly?

No sand or rock bare bottom with a few plastic pipes just finished another water change and will check again in the morning do you think I should feed once every other day? And what type of food ? Don't want to spike the nitrate with left overs.

Just for clarification, this is a hospital tank because you have added medications or hypo treatments. A quarantine tank is simply for observation, and would be cycled. But unfortunately your right in not bothering to cycle a HT.
Water changes and daily floss removal. No carbon in the filter either.

Back
Top Bottom