Amount of iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm dosing using pps pro and there is no iron being dosed as far as I can see in those ferts. What would be the amount of iron that a tank should read for a properly planted tank? I ordered some dry fert iron to add to what I do but need to know the amount I'm aiming for before I just start dumping it in there. Thanks for a heads up.

I'm dosing using pps pro and there is no iron being dosed as far as I can see in those ferts. What would be the amount of iron that a tank should read for a properly planted tank? I ordered some dry fert iron to add to what I do but need to know the amount I'm aiming for before I just start dumping it in there. Thanks for a heads up.

Pps pro pack should come with plantex which is 7% iron I believe.

Thanks. I do dose plantex. I just didn't really know what was in it and what it correlated with. Thanks

Just so I know though, what is the appropriate amount a test should indicate so I know if I'm dosing enough plantex or not?

Just so I know though, what is the appropriate amount a test should indicate so I know if I'm dosing enough plantex or not?

Hobbyist iron test kits are pretty inaccurate so just look at your plants. If new leafs are starting to grow in with a yellowish color it's a sign of low iron. If all your plants look fine just keep doing what your doing.

Pantex CSM+B is 7% iron by mass.

I personally think that there's not really much of a reason to test any fertilizer (with to exception of nitrate in some circumstances). You can dose most in excess without much blowback in the form of algae, and skimping causes more problems than excess.

Pictures of the deficiency?

Well there aren't any signs of deficiency but I've been so particular about everything nitrate/phosphate/potassium/light/co2 I figure why stop at iron? I'm using RO water and injecting everything into the tank it needs with PPS Pro and Discus Trace... I just figured that to have the absolute control of my balance, monitoring iron would be good since I'm already monitoring everything else mentioned above. I just wanted a target iron level to be aiming for. I think I actually dug up a number that a planted tank should have and that is between 0.1-1.0 ppm iron so I guess that's the simple answer to this thread.

I guess I'm becoming extremely OCD about my water, that's all :) I do appreciate the comment about more is better than less when dealing with ferts. I just want to be able to monitor everything in this tank (OCD)

Back
Top Bottom