An expensive hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
An internal conversation with myself started with “I’d like to get live plants”, and $700 later I’m ready to start.
I certainly wasn’t expecting that! I supposed I’m considered “high-tech”. Starting with “you need good lighting” turns into CO2 considered likely required, to tools and nutrients and containers.
I’m not trying to scare anyone away, I’ve very happy with the new toys and the future plants (yet to arrive in the mail). You can certainly have a planted tank and spend less, I’m sure on that token you can have a planted tank and spend much more. Here’s what I wasn’t expecting and how I spent this much money:

• $95 Dual Bulb T5HO
• $75 Eco-Complete Fine Grade
pcatid=9087
• $220 Nutrients
o $20 Macros (GreenLeaf)
o $10 Micros (Flourish Comprehensive)
o Pressurized CO2 ($190 for everything)​
• $155 Other
o Aquarium scissors
o Planting tongs
o GH & KH Test Kit
o Phosphate Test Kit
o Glass Lid for the new light
o Black background paper
o Circulation Pump
o Dry Ferts storage container
o Small measuring spoons​
• $100-$150 for the plants (ExtraPlant and eBay)

Expensive Hobby

Hello fish...

You're right. The water keeping hobby can be as expensive as you want it. On occasion, I've gone with used tanks. Basic gravel substrate, lighting from the hardware store, fertilizer provided by the fish and decorations picked up from the local rural areas. I have several larger tanks, but don't believe I have very much dollar wise in any of them.

B

Welcome to the Planted tanks addiction. Let's just hope you don't catch MTS (multiple-tank syndrome)... or the ultimate black hole to your wallet, SW reef... lol

Fw and expensive make my wallet laugh. My reef tank has literally given my wallet depression. It's sad how much money we put into our tanks but it's so worth it haha

Oh my Gosh! I'm embarrassed at how much I've spent on this hobby. If I really added it all up and saw how much, I'd probably quit and take up embroidery. Ha! (Not a chance)
Now where that Dr's. Foster & Smith catalog? OS.

Back
Top Bottom