An interesting new twist to the Koralias...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was just a week or so ago how we were discussing the Hydor koralia's to not be good for a wave maker. The manufacturer must have picked up on that issue. sounds like it could be a good thing, but I think Ill let someone else try it first so that I am not the guinea pig and if the feedback is good give it a try later on.

I contacted the manufacturer last week about my Koralia Nano. I have it hooked up to a timer to kick on for 2-5min at a time multiple times a day. It stopped working, I have to tap the propeller to get it running. After speaking with them it basically came to the point that the pump (or any other one of their pumps) is not designed for that use. They did offer to replace it with a newer model. Seems they made some sort of change to a washer in the unit and it might resolve my issue. The rep told me they were about to release an new line of pumps for wavemaking and they would only work with their controller.

I bought a 4 early on and found out that they have a nozzle attachment to moke the flow more directed. I like the modded maxijets for this reason. I contacted koralia and they sent me one for free. I then added a big dumas prop with a maxijet magnet the pump keeps up with my modded maxijets now. Feels like 2x or more than what it put out originally.

I recently upgraded my maxi-jet 1200's with the "sure flow" mod, which essencially turns your maxi-jets into a simliar device as the Koralias, technology speaking. They also suggest that you do not use them on a wave maker or timer. After using three on Red Sea Wave timer, I know why...when they kick on they make an insanely loud "gulping" sound. I have found it is best to keep them running all the time.

The noise is when the prop pushes out instead of being pulled in. The prop hits the front of the housing and makes a racket. Some of the ones made have a piece in front that forces the prop back down when this happens.

I would not use one on a wave timer but I have one that I shut down at night and start back up when the lights come on.

A modded MJ1200 will outflow a K4 IMO. Mine all do. Put the big MJ prop in the K4 though and it evens things out :)

I use a pair of Koralias on a wavemaker and have for about 6 months. There is some occasional startup chatter, other than that, the 'wavemaker' system cost me 2 K4's and a power strip/wavemaker ($31 or so at the LFS). Done.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom