anacharis replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats a good plant to replace anacharis with? i have alot of anacharis i like how quick i grows but hate how messy it is. Looking for something that grows fast but not as messy. Mainly to help suck up nitrates. Anacharis seems pretty good at doing that. Im getting wisteria and water sprite. Those are good candidates what else is there? something low to medium light.

I am tired of my anarchis too! Only keeping it in my fry tanks right now to help with water parameters.
Hmm, well I was just about to suggest hornwort or cabomba, but they shed their leaves in new water parameters and can get VERY messy.
My moneywort and bacopa seem to be the fastest growers in my tanks, but aren't the same look as anarchis.
Have you thought about some floaters instead? They are amazing nitrate busters. I love frogbit. Water lettuce and salvinia could work as well, and get some really cool root systems

Both water sprite and wisteria are great nutrient absorbers. You could try Ambulia as it doesn't shed and grows very well sending out runners if it's happy. It's also a very attractive stem plant. What type lighting do you have as that would determine what plants would work well. Also do you use any ferts or CO2 or liquid carbon such as Excel?

I've been also looking into something to replace my anacharis. I'm going to try bunching up 2-3 stems so they'll stop getting uprooted by my cichlids.

How would jungle val work? I like the way it looks, but unsure as a replacement for anacharis since it's so easy to grow.

No i dont inject CO2 or use excel(i will tho when i can find some) and as for my lighting i have 2 t5 14w 6700k bulbs. Cabomba doesnt grow in my tank if Ambulia is the same it probably wont grow neither. Will jungle val. suck up nutrients pretty quick? i was considering the jungle val.

Jungle Val is pretty good but Ambulia is even better. I have Ambulia growing in a Fluval Edge 6g with stock LED lighting which is pretty low. It isn't as full as it is in a high light tank but it does grow.

does it shed? my cabomba shed like crazy. i might try it. I like the "bushyness".

No it doesn't shed. I have quite a bit of Cabomba Furcata and I don't have a shedding issue except when the angelfish make it shed by pulling off sections. Cabomba seems to respond very well to liquid carbon use (Excel, API CO2 Booster, Glut).

I'm not saying it has to have liquid carbon but from my expierence and alot of what I read on it prior to planting it I found it seems to do well with liquid carbon.

Back
Top Bottom