And So It Begins Agaain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
attachment.php

Kind of a crummy pick clarity wise but it was my Phone :D

No fishies yet BUT... CO2 setup running like a charm... right behin the coral in the middle... is the "chopstick" defuser...

in 3 days... I already hav 2 " on frowth on some of the plants!!!

Looks good so far! Are you dosing any ferts yet? Once you find the right balance your plants will take off. Any plans on livestock?

Looks good so far! Are you dosing any ferts yet? Once you find the right balance your plants will take off. Any plans on livestock?

Yup :D Liquid fertz I got from Fort a while ago... worked GREAT last time.

I will be getting all very small fish and 2 Bamboo Shrimp...

4-6 Neon Tetra, Red eye Tetra, 2-3 Snails A few Zebra Daino's and If I can find them... 5-6 Penguin Tetra

Sounds like a nice setup. I'm a big fan of tetras myself. I like the look of schools of larger bodied tetras like the red-eye's, diamonds, bleeding heart, etc.

Saw some penguin tetras at a LFS for the first time in person, they are beautiful in a planted tank! Might have to pick up a few for my 30g high since my team is the Pittsburgh Penguins! Lol! Keep us updated!

Very nice tank. Just curious, what kind of ferts? (I'm starting... or, converting lol, a planted tank my self)
lol I will be honest... i dont know... they are liquid fertz. Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, and a trace additiive. OMG it worked GREAT. even once I had 15-20 fish I had to add Nitrogen

the Nitrogen makes the "Vegetation" like the leaves and such grow :D
Phosphorus makes the Roots grow
Potassium if I remember correctly helps with the plants health

Great start! And that is a good pic from a phone. Can't wait to see what you stock it with. :) I like Ember tetras. They don't school real tight, but they stay together and they are bright orange. In small tanks, I like to go with small fish so it makes the tank look bigger!

Great start! And that is a good pic from a phone. Can't wait to see what you stock it with. :) I like Ember tetras. They don't school real tight, but they stay together and they are bright orange. In small tanks, I like to go with small fish so it makes the tank look bigger!
OOOO I like the ember tetra!!!

I worry about having them shipped and there are not many LFS close by to me :(
I think I may have to order the Penguin tetra as well.
I am thinking this

4-5 Neon's
4-5 Red eye (or cardinal) tetra
4-5 Penguin
and if I can find them 4-5 of the Ember Tetra (thank you JOM20 :D)
+ the 2 Bamboo Shrimp.

I was going to get 3 Ruby Barbs but if I can find the Ember Tetra It will ad the color I am looking for. I dont need Red per-se just a splash of something else :D

woh the tank is looking so nice...
I have been doing a little trimmings each day to removed the dead leaves from the clover. I need to get a new timer for the CO2 tho... I want it to cycle with the plants... it is making the PH drop to much I think. I could just ad an airstone... but it just seams like a waste shen my Setup has a solinoid anyway. Some of the plants dont seem to be rooting to fast?

Any Pointers on that from you guys?

OOOO I like the ember tetra!!!

I worry about having them shipped and there are not many LFS close by to me :(
I think I may have to order the Penguin tetra as well.
I am thinking this

4-5 Neon's
4-5 Red eye (or cardinal) tetra
4-5 Penguin
and if I can find them 4-5 of the Ember Tetra (thank you JOM20 :D)
+ the 2 Bamboo Shrimp.

I was going to get 3 Ruby Barbs but if I can find the Ember Tetra It will ad the color I am looking for. I dont need Red per-se just a splash of something else :D

Ahh, don't worry about having them shipped....if you order from a reputable place and are mindful of the weather, shipping fish is great! That's where I get like 95% of my fish...online sites. My lfs are sad....even for sw. I'm jealous of the lfs that some people have access to. :D

Your stocking list is good, but it seems like a lot of fish for a 20g. I would stick to 2 schools and the shrimp. Pick your 2 favs and maybe increase to 6 of each. It will give you a reason to start another tank later....so you can have other fish that you want. :D That is always my excuse atleast. You could probably have a centerpiece type fish too with the 2 schools....like a Honey Gourami or something. I've seen reddish ones, or atleast reddish/orange......it would give you that splash of color!

I would set the co2 to come on 30 mins before the lights. It can go off with the lights. That way the water will be saturated with co2 by the time the lights come on. :) PH drops because of co2 injection aren't worrisome and shouldn't affect your fish negatively, so I wouldn't worry about an airstone.

Some plants take longer to root than others. Just keep doing what you're doing and they will eventually lay down some roots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom