Anenome Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CeeBoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I fear I may have done harm to my Anenome :S

I did a water change and didn't get the salinity right in my prepared water so there was a significant enough drop. along with this, I moved my anenome since it was tipping over in the substrate. I've only had it for about 4 days.

Picture below - should I seriously worry that I've killed it or is this just it coping/adjusting to change as it should be doing?

thanks,

Attachments

• Shrunk.jpg
    Shrunk.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 169
from the picture it looks like he's still in one piece. What kind of lighting do you have him under?If you got the SG back to where it needs to be, water quality and light are the best thing for him. If he starts to disintegrate, remove him before it fouls the water.

Sadly, I couldn't tell you what my lights are. It's a sock Oceanic BioCube 29. My understanding was that everything I needed came stock from my guy.

"Includes a comprehensive aquarium lighting system with Coralife compact fluorescent lighting, Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs, and dual cooling fans integrated into the hood. "

The anemone looks much better today- but he did lose one of his 'bubbles'. Is that a terrible sign? Before I got home my boyfriend put my pretreated water into the tank though- so now the salt levels are closer to normal, but I think the anemone may be shrinking again. Poor guy!

They do that. My nem does the same thing. Your lightinng is fine. Are you feeding it at all? You are supposed to feed them frozen mysis shrimp once a week or so. Mine does the same thing as yours when it is upset. As long as its not flat and has stingy discharge coming out of the oral disc I wouldn't be too worried. Mine did that once I fed him and he was fine. Now my clowns do a pretty good job of making sure he's fed

The stock biocube lighting is fine for nems? Isn't that 1 white and 1 blue? I have a BC29 and I don't think the lighting is nearly sufficient for nems. How long has the tank been set up?

I have a buddy with a cube and I thought his was fine but maybe he upgraded it. Sorry my mistake

That anemone is not dead, and in some cases they don't show bubbles on their tips. It's no indication of poor health. You shouldn't have added an anemone in such a new tank though. Try to keep the parameters stable as possible. Mix water in a separate container. Let it mix overnight with a power head or at least an air stone, and check the salinity with a refractometer, not a hydrometer.
Also, you should remove that gravel or whatever that substrate is. It's going to cause you issues for the life of this tank. You'll have to vacuum it constantly or you will have, at the very least, nitrate issues.

Back
Top Bottom