angel ram has ich.. ich on decorations???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
my dad has a 50 gallon with some barbs, angel ram, bolivian ram, red tail black shark, krib and an angelfish... we notices on his angel/baloon ram it has ich. what should we do? he has a co2 system and 2 filters one hob one canister.

1zpjx20.jpg

2s1uc06.jpg

is that ich on the decoration??? what causes ich??? his params are 0,0,15

Ich is caused by a parasite, and usually shows up when the fish is stressed:
Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

The trophants (the ich spots) fall off the fish to the gravel, where they reproduce to make more ich .... so yes, those can be ich cysts ... but you cna't tell for sure without looking at it under a microscope.

To treat ich in a planted tank, it is best to remove the fish to a hospital tank & treat there. Plants don't do well with ich treatment (esp. salt). You might try using heat alone (at 88F-90F), but some plants won't even like that.

If you remove all the fish, ich cannot survive in the tank. So after a QT period (of 4-6 weeks - temperature dependent), the planted tank would be ich free & safe for fish, even without any treatment. Of course, you can only do that if you have a hospital tank that can accommodate all your fish for the 4-6 weeks needed to treat ich.

That is not ich on the decoration, it only appears as dots on fish. It is likely snail eggs. If your having an outbreak I would slowly over a couple days raise the temp to 86-88 and leave it there. Once all signs of ich are gone off the fish leave the temp up for minimum two weeks. DONT ADD SALT, the salt helps kill ich but it also kills plants and can really hurt some fish. running co2 I assume you have plants. Salt can be used and often is but not with plants.

Instead of raising temp to 86 88 i suggest getting a ntural ich medicine called ich attack. It works wonders, and temps of 88 really stress out fish!

jsoong said:
To treat ich in a planted tank, it is best to remove the fish to a hospital tank & treat there. Plants don't do well with ich treatment (esp. salt). You might try using heat alone (at 88F-90F), but some plants won't even like that.

You dont have to do that, u could get rid ich+ it works pretty good its safe for plants and scaless fish

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Instead of raising temp to 86 88 i suggest getting a ntural ich medicine called ich attack. It works wonders, and temps of 88 really stress out fish!

Ya ut does but its a little slow at first rid ich+ its safe too and works faster

The only snail he has in his tank is a nerite which i thought didnt reproduce in freshwater. of course he could of gotten it from his plants.

I am having the same issue of white dots on my plants, i made a new post with pictures. i have 2 nerite snails in my tank as well. what should i do?

Nerites can lay eggs in FW, but I believe they need BW to hatch. I have some in both (I have a BW tank and FW)

The spots on the decor defiantly look like eggs to me, I can't tell anything from the pictures of the rams. Before doing any kind of treatment, can you get better pictures so we can tell you positivly if the fish have ich.

Rams are very sensitive to medications and any changes in their water, balloon rams even more so since they are specifically bred for the deformity that makes them a "balloon".

Based on what? I've used the heat and salt method for years on all kinds of fish (even "sensitive" fish) and have found it to be much less stressful on fish than the addition of meds.

*edit* The white spots on the plants in the photo are nerite snail eggs.

Hey everyone, my 40 gal has ich and I have a marimo moss in it, and I want to transfer it to a healthy 10 gallon. How can I kill ich on it without killing it?

Back
Top Bottom