Angelfish acting strange please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My angelfish have been acting weird since last night, they were hanging around the top of my 50 gallon aquarium, today i noticed a slight coloration in their eyes change to a cloudy white in one eye. One of my females when i got home was nose diving straight up but would end up floating and spinning backwards, there is a little bit of a skin looking texture coming off her belly and the other fish in the tank are trying to eat at her. She is dying and i don't know why!
p.s the tank was set up December 28th and was tested and at first it had a slight ammonia but i waited a few more days before transferring my angelfish from my ten gallon over.
Please help me i dont want to lose my other angelfish!!

I would start with a pwc. Sounds like you may still have some ammonia in the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should have your water checked and buy a API test kit, and do a 50% pwc and each day maybe a 25%. If your water parameters are bad you may need to do more.

Your tank hasn't had enough time to cycle. Here is a article which can assist you in knowing what to do.

Feed sparingly as to not increase the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I just did a slight water change, didnt have too much water available to change it right away, but what i dont understand is how they have been in the tank for two weeks now and nothing has been wrong with them, a pair even had babies and i transferred the babies to my ten gallon tank.
Just had to flush one of my angels :(

When i had my water tested before i transferred my angelfish over, the ammonia was very low and i had already had other fish in there that survived, the guy told me to wait a few days before tranferring over my angel fish in which i did, they have been in there for about 2 weeks and they are almost 2 years old, they keep hanging around the top and the other fish are starting to pick at them. How can i keep them alive? can i put prime in the water?

I'm sorry to hear that. I would try to test the water ASAP and see what could be in there

I am going tomorrow to test it since all of the stores are closed now, i just dont want to wait any longer im so scared theyre all going to die on me :(

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Why can't you do a bigger pwc?

You can do some Prime to help neutralize the bad stuff. The water needs to be checked but you can do 50% back to back water changes if needed to get the water quality in check.

I'm afraid to do a bigger water change unless I go buy the water from the store because I usually get a bucket of water and let it sit for days and put prime in it because it's tap water, am I allowed to put the prime in the water and use it right away? I'm afraid it might not have had enough time to get the chemicals out

It's a risk I take all the time

As I'm now fighting to keep half the fish alive because a tetra decided to die and be hidden in the plants and I just found it.

so I got my water tested it was high in ammonia at about 1.0 which it probably was higher yesterday before I did the water change. I was told to change the filter pads and do a 25% water change in which I did but my fish are still acting strange. I'm about to get my water tested again right now.

I wouldn't change both filter pads at once. You need the beneficial bacteria on them.

I got my water tested again and it's in the safe zone for ammonia at about .5 but I'm afraid my fish won't recover, I am going to do another slight water change tomorrow

Thats no a safe level. 0.25 is 'considered' safe. I would forget going to get it the tested and change 50% 25% when dealing with ammonia just isnt enough. For example a 1ppm reading using simple math donates its still at 0.75 after.

Most of your problems will go away if you up your changes to 50%

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm afraid to do a bigger water change unless I go buy the water from the store because I usually get a bucket of water and let it sit for days and put prime in it because it's tap water, am I allowed to put the prime in the water and use it right away? I'm afraid it might not have had enough time to get the chemicals out

Prime works pretty much instantly. I use tap water all the time and it is fine for the fish. Unless you have untreated well water or something else unusual.

Here is the info from their website
Seachem. Prime

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom