angelfish are so cool!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LVstealth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
angelfish are so cool!

i have a young pair who laid their first eggs and most turned white, i am guessing the male didnt do his job right.

they are in a tank with another pair who seem to be good parents, with some babies who just became free swimming.

some of the babies got over to the new pair side and the new pair male gathered them up and started tending them.

its been about a week and there are two groups of the babies, one the pair who had them tends to, and another the male of the new pair tends to.

so, basically the new pair male adopted the babies!

There are actually a number of reasons why the first spawns of Angelfish are usually duds. It ranges from the male being too immature to him not knowing what to do to he was spending too much time defending the female from other fish in the tank and missed his opportunity while the eggs were viable. We tend to blame the males as duds but that's not always the case.

I'd be very careful with having 2 mated pairs in the same tank. Good Angels will defend their mates so you could lose one of them if they squabble. Case in point: I had a breeding trio of Angels. That lasted for 2 spawns. By the third spawn, one of the females was beaten so hard for trying to join in the spawn that she had to be removed and I ultimately lost her. :( So to ensure you don't lose a pair, I'd consider either putting a pair in a sperate tank or using a divider in the main tank to keep them safe from each other. :whistle:

yes, i took the advice to partition the tank (my last post) but the babies still get through. about a third of the babies are with the new pair and the rest with their parents

i just found it interesting that the new pair male adopted the other pairs babies

yes, i took the advice to partition the tank (my last post) but the babies still get through. about a third of the babies are with the new pair and the rest with their parents

i just found it interesting that the new pair male adopted the other pairs babies

That IS rather unusual but the male have been a breeder before which could account for this. (y)

Back
Top Bottom