Angelfish health concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week ago I noticed that one of my red koi angelfish stopped eating and began breathing strangely almost looking like she's gasping. She just hangs in the top corner of the tank by herself. Now a week later she's getting some ich spots because her health is declining since she won't eat. I feed my fish a combination frozen brine shrimp, chopped up night crawlers ( I just buy them in a little container from Walmart), and omega one flakes. When there's food in the tank she will swim up to it and act like she wants to eat it, but she never does. She just watched it float to the bottom... She's in a 60 tank with 4 other Angels, but everybody has plenty of food, so she's not being out competed. Anybody know what could be happening to her or what could have caused this? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452327907.607952.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My first guess is the worms... Theyre dirty and the dirt you get them in can be full of whatever. This can also cause declining water quality.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They dont get jumbo nightcrawlers much if ever in the wild.

I was thinking that was maybe it too, but The only thing that stumped me was that the other fish seem very healthy and perfectly happy. They LOVE the worms. I've read that live foods are a great thing to feed fish. What else besides night crawlers could I feed them? Or could I clean the worms somehow? I don't want them to just have to eat the same thing everyday. I like to mix it up and keep it interesting.

Bloodworms, blackworms, theres tons... Irs just that those worms arent regulated towards the fish tank hobby. And you should be careful in using them. It doesnt mean don't use them. Likei said... It was my first guess and the most obvious one to me.

I just feel they could be dirtying your water. And this can lead to ich and the other things you described. When in doubt flush the toilet (do water changes).

+1 with Poppa.
Test your parameters for ammonia/nitrite spike...
The gills look very red and the mouth being open make it look as if breathing is difficult.
Many issues(disease) will start and manifest in the gills.
One is clearly gill flukes but ICH also hides and grows VERY well in the gills of fish.
I would strongly consider placing angel in a QT or treating the whole tank....
I would start with ich meds(I am Kordon ich man)..
If that doesn't improve the fish(or kill it) then we will need to look at symptoms again...

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and get a QT tank set up for her. Do you think worms from petco would be a better idea?

I am raising angels now and they really don't care what I offer any of the 5 times a day~!
TOTAL pigs!
Frozen food makes good 'treats' 2-3 times a week, but a good flake(omega is what everyone likes?)and some pellets(NLS rules and comes in many sizes besides a medicate formula also).
New Life Spectrum ranks among some of the most nutritious food available...
One of the best...

Watch closely for aggression as these fish are not always nice to each other.
Even if they were getting along they will spot weakness in this fish and possibly be the end of it...

I've never seen aggression towards my sick girl. Really the only aggression with the angels was between my two biggest. They did the lip locking thing every now and then and now they seem to always be swimming around together. (I'm guessing maybe they've become a pair??) maybe I'll just have to stick to the flakes and find frozen foods. I also raise mealworms, but those are more for my Bichir and leaf fish.

Back
Top Bottom