Angelfish rapid breathing, HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I'm having issues here with my newer angelfish. We recently purchased four new angels to add in our community tank, and recently, two have died. No diseases are obvious, and the two older angels in the tank are perfectly fine. Theres also a pictus cat in the tank who is fine, and the 4 gouramis as well.

I'm trying to determine what's going on right now with the tank. The water parameters check out, 0ppm Ammonia, and 0ppm of Nitrates. pH is 7.2.

I'm including a video to show what's going on. Both the angels in the back are the ones not acting right. The two larger ones are fine. One thing that makes me wonder is that the two larger white angels laid eggs and were very protective of them and chased everyone away from the whole left side of the 75g tank.

I need ideas and info quick before these guys die.

Thanks.

Apparently the quality was downgraded when I uploaded it. The first angel you see if breathing very rapidly.

Umm... Do you mean nitrItes? You need nitrAtes, and if you don't have them... That's your problem.

You don't need nitrates... it would be strange that there would be 0 in an established tank unless it is heavily planted and lighted.

How long have the newer angels been in the tank? How did you acclimate them? Do you have a nitrite reading to go with the ammonia and nitrate? What temp is the tank at?

Has there been any fin nipping from the older larger angels?

You don't need nitrates... it would be strange that there would be 0 in an established tank unless it is heavily planted and lighted.

How long have the newer angels been in the tank? How did you acclimate them? Do you have a nitrite reading to go with the ammonia and nitrate? What temp is the tank at?

Has there been any fin nipping from the older larger angels?

0ppm of Nitrites, I apologize, I meant NO2. Still 0ppm Ammonia. These tanks have been established for YEARS. The larger fish have no issues. I usually let the new stock sit in their bags and float them on the tank until the temperature is the same in the bag as it is in the tank. Perhaps that's where I went wrong, but I've had them for a few weeks now. The tank is at 76 degrees.

I took the worst of the angels out and put him in my 10g that has been up for 6 months. Should I do 25% PWCs in these tanks daily?

I noticed that there is a tiny bit of fin tatterage on both of these smaller angels, and I'm attributing that to stress since there are no other visible indications of disease. My only issue is one of them not eating. The 10g is at 75 degrees right now. I've also noticed that the angel still in the big tank will take in most food and spit it out, but he eats a tiny amount of food.

They made it through the night, but I'd like to get this sorted out soon.

Separate the ones that don't eat for feeding, this way they don't have to compete and are more likely to eat. You can also try different foods.

Ok, I put them in the 10g, medicated them with Tetracycline, and one of them is better and is eating, I'm on day two of the medication. The other one's gills and pectoral fins are still blood red. My garbage Marineland Stealth Pro is working perfectly.....it's set to 80 degrees and it's currently at 72.5 degrees...so they're sending me another one.

Im doing 25% water changes per day as per the API instructions for this medication. What else can/should I be doing?

Not much at this point, just hope. Your doing great, and it's a great sign that one is improving, keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom