Angelfish schooling behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icydeath

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I were to get a group of angelfish like 6 (could be more if recommended) in a 4 foot x 4 foot x 21 inch tank (tall haha) would they bicker a lot?

I have heard mixed things about how they can school peacefully but some say they won't. I kinda like the idea of large, slow schooling fish which is why I was kinda drawn to angels.

Would this work or would they fight?

The best answer to "would they fight or not?" would be " It depends."
By nature, wild Angelfish school together and live in a hierarchy society. So any fighting is usually just a peck or 2 to show dominance or will be more aggressive if this is a potential pairing. But we are not dealing with wild fish in most cases. Most of today's fish are so far removed from wild that many have lost the need to school and can sometimes do just fine as a single Angelfish in a tank while others maintain that need for company. So there is no way to know what you are going to get by putting any number of random Angelfish together.
But lets' say you got the +1 option and all is well in the school. At some point, assuming you have maintained the tank correctly and have been feeding the fish a healthy diet, at some point, with that many fish, the odds are there will be a male and female in the group which will want to mate. That will cause some discord in the tank no matter how well they have been getting along up to that point. So the only way to prevent this is to get all the same gender fish for your school so that mating will not be an issue. I always suggest a male only tank opposed to female only as females have been known to spawn on their own and harass the other fish to protect her eggs as well as pairing up with another female and then there are 2 fish beating the group up.
So, in summation, there is no way to tell if this will work. It should on paper, but not every fish reads the paper. :lol: The best you can do is try it and hope for the best but be prepared for it should it not work out.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom