Angler fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok at the pet store I saw a sargassum fish I believe referred to as a frogfish as well Anglers & Frogfish I was extremely intersted in this fish. I Ugly sure but interesting. It states they are reef safe but also known to swallow fish up to twice there size. With the ability to do so you would think they would not be good for a reef?? they would swallow invertabrates i would assume such as a goby or cleaner shrimp or even a small fish. I would really like to learn more about these fish is there anyone who has had one of these before or known anybody who has?? I really need to purchase some books about the care of fish and corals one of these days instead of bugging all of you but I like picking at your brains. :p

Species specific setup. Histrio histrio is the common Sargassum angler available attaining 6-7" on average. As you said, they will consume any crustacean and fish within the tank and just because a fish is too large to be swallowed doesn't mean it won't try (two deaths is often the result). They can be housed in multiples if conspecific, but territorial disputes may occur anyways (can consume own kind). They are considered delicate animals to keep and difficult to train over to prepared.

Back
Top Bottom