Another filter given to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seems I am the local drop off point for unwanted/used tanks, filters etc - and I have absolutely no problems with that at all haha (I have 5 tanks ranging from 20ltrs upwards from donations lol) today I was given a whisper triad power filter 2000. Anyone have any knowledge on this?? I cannot find much online

Seems I am the local drop off point for unwanted/used tanks, filters etc - and I have absolutely no problems with that at all haha (I have 5 tanks ranging from 20ltrs upwards from donations lol) today I was given a whisper triad power filter 2000. Anyone have any knowledge on this?? I cannot find much online
Always nice to get freebies, especially if they are not just filling up your bin...lol. I had a quick look on both google and google images and can't get anything on it, which is quite unusual. Try posting a good picture of it and it might jog someone's memory.....

I haven't cleaned it up yet obviously..

Once you get that cleaned up I'd be curious to see how well it operates. And how quiet/noisy. I have not seen the Triad series in the states but the design is pretty identical. Some reviews I have seen on it comment on leaking. If necessary, you should be able to remove the motor with a counter clockwise quarter turn. An o-ring seals the filter/motor from leaking. You can remove, clean, inspect, and reinstall the o-ring. I have read that a small amount of Vaseline applied to the o-ring will help prevent leaks...though the combo of Vaseline + rubber (assuming the o-ring is made of that) may be questionable by some.
Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to spend some time cleaning it up tomorrow and I'll put it in a bucket for a few hours and see what happens - I'll update later :)

So I've cleaned it up with vinegar, did a bit of a repair on the impeller with aquarium silicone (wasn't sure it would work but it does) changed the carbon filter (also a bit of a DIY) and now it runs :) woohooo - I'm going to go get some Vaseline to repair the leaky o ring, but it should work well -

Here's my question - I'm thinking of adding it to my 55ltr to get it going - it won't upset my levels will it?? And I've read you can't over filter... True??

So I've cleaned it up with vinegar, did a bit of a repair on the impeller with aquarium silicone (wasn't sure it would work but it does) changed the carbon filter (also a bit of a DIY) and now it runs :) woohooo - I'm going to go get some Vaseline to repair the leaky o ring, but it should work well -

Here's my question - I'm thinking of adding it to my 55ltr to get it going - it won't upset my levels will it?? And I've read you can't over filter... True??
For a start you don't need the carbon. You could use floss and purigen or a fine filter sponge instead. Will do a better job imo. Carbon is only used for Med and/or odour removal.
Give the silicone 48hrs to cure fully. Personally I would test it for a few days before adding it to the tank. By testing I mean for leaks. Hanging it on a bucket or one of your spare tanks!!. If it leaks, then it leaks in your shed or garage and not all over the floor in your home. It will not upset the level at all. No such thing as over filtering, the only issue might be strong currents, which some fish don't like. Why not just use it as a floss filter. It will help polish the water and give the fish the "swimming on air" look. The floss can then be remove/replaced as needed......

And it's up and running - very quiet too I might add!! Vaseline fixed the leak, my handiwork repair job on the impeller is brilliant, I stuffed it full of 'fairy floss' as my kids called it and it's now running along side my other one!! Thank you for your help!!

And it's up and running - very quiet too I might add!! Vaseline fixed the leak, my handiwork repair job on the impeller is brilliant, I stuffed it full of 'fairy floss' as my kids called it and it's now running along side my other one!! Thank you for your help!!
Not sure how much help I was but that's great news. You fish will soon be swimming in air...haha

So it was - my bad - well without your input I wouldn't have a fairy floss machine lol

Okay, I'll take credit for the Vaseline.

Seriously, hope this works out for you. Good find. I like running an extra filter just in case the primary one fails.

Back
Top Bottom