Another stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have this 20 gallon high with the complete aquarium set up (Hood, lights, heater, filter, etc.) that I got at a yard sale. If I choose to make this my first fish tank, how many fish could I fit in it? Obviously not as many as the 55 gallon that I bought from a guy recently, but how many? If I were to choose this tank size I would want:

6 tetras
6 harlequin rasboras
3-4 swordtails

How is this? Over crowded?

I'm just hesitant to start with something as huge as a 55 gallon for my first tank in case I either loose interest (Though I doubt it) or have trouble keeping up with it for any other reason.

Stocking level is a little on the full side, but workable as long as the tetras are like neon tetras or something else suitably small, along with good filtration and regular water changes.

It's a little tricky keeping water parameters good on a smaller tank, so I recommend taking your time stocking (ideally give the tank a month between adding each species group) so you can get used to the maintenance schedule and so your bacteria has plenty of time to adjust. Live plants will help stabilize things and avoid any surprise spikes too.

Edit: One last note... Careful with the swords. Livebearer fry can easily take your fully stocked tank and turn it into a majorly overstocked tank in short order if you don't have a way of controlling their numbers (either by not giving them hiding places so they get eaten, or by giving them away when they get big enough).

How are you planning to cycle? Fish in or fishless?

Bigger tanks are actually easier to maintain usually. Since there is so much more water it's easier for toxins to "spread" out. If doing a fish in cycle you would be likely to do less water changes on the 55 gal than the 20. Smaller the tank typically the harder the up keep because there is less water/room for things to dissipate.

I'd be weary with the livebearers. As PP mentioned you could end up with a breeding frenzy on your hands. So keep that in mind before stocking your tank.

Back
Top Bottom