Any Advice Welcome <3/ New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meg Landaluce

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Fellow Fish Tankers,

I've very recently gotten into planted freshwater aquariums and am learning as I go. I am in the process of trying to do a "fish in cycle" tank of 10 gallons. I have one betta fish. The contents of my tank include various live plants that are growing rapidly and well (I've been using one pump a week of aquarium co-op easy green all in one fertilizer), a couple pieces of small driftwood, a filter, a light (left on for a max of 8hrs.), a heater set to 78 degrees fahrenheit and some aquarium sand. Sorry if that's too much detail, but this leads me to ask about my conditions. I've recently been experiencing a lot of brown hair like algae that I'm not experienced with how to get rid of, I've searched the internet with how to get rid of this, but want to ask you guys and get some first hand advice. I've tested my water parameters today (5 days after the last water change) and my PH is f*cked up, reading at 7.6 and my nitrates continue to stay at 0ppm even after 5 weeks of the tank being in existence. I realize I need to be patient, but how can I help this, or is it a matter of waiting? My nitrite is .25 ppm as well, but I feel like that just means it's getting close to my weekly water change (25% water change is what I've been doing). Any help on this is greatly appreciated! :cool:

Ph isn't that bad actually. Alot of municipal (mine too) water supplies run that high daily. Your fish will adjust. Don't fight that ph battle, consistency is most important.

Since it's a planted tank and you fertilize your plants properly, you are also inadvertently and unfortunately feeding the algae. For most black beard and hair algae it's best to just pull it off by hand. There are methods to slow it's spread, but risky for plants and more costly. Elbow grease is free

It might get better when your tank is fully cycled. Stay on top of checking parameters and water changes, your doing good. Algae is a constant battle for most aquarist even in non planted tanks

Thank you for your advice! You've given me some relief with the ph conundrum lol. I cleaned my tank yesterday and got a lot of the algae out, but it continues to stick to some plants more than others. I shall keep trying. Thanks again! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom