any dwarf cichlids compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking into electric blue rams german blue rams bolivian rams kribs and cockatoos for my 150 (still in the process of setting it up.) My question(s). Is there any possibility of these guys all living peacefully together? If so what would be a good ratio (m/f) for each? Any that will do best in groups. If I cant keep them all I really like the cockatoo and gbr. What other (if any) cichlids can be kept with these guys?

I'd actually avoid smaller dwarves in a larger tank. I've had no luck with keeping any apistos in my 75 with my new world cichlid community. I do have a young mikrogeophgus ramirezi that is doing well.

For a 150, I'd recommend doing some of the larger South American cichlids, like Uaru amphianthancoides or hypselecara temporalis. Them have a small group of eartheater cichlids, like geophagus altifrons, tapajo, tapajo II, pindare, etc. then doing some smaller accent cichlids like cleithracara maronii, aquidens pulcher, krobia xinguensis, gymnogeophagus meridionalis. And then finally do a couple large school of cories, like Sterbai and agassizi, as well as a couple schools of tetra species, like lemons, bleeding heart, cardinal, black neon, rummy nose, diamond, etc. then, also adding a couple larger catfish species like hoplo cats or porthole cats.

I have a similar mix in my 75 and have had some success. I would save the dwarves for smaller tanks, as they seem to get lost in big tanks unless the entire tank is void of larger fish

I'd actually avoid smaller dwarves in a larger tank. I've had no luck with keeping any a pistons in my 75 with my new world cichlid community. I do have a young mikrogeophgus ramirezi that is doing well.

For a 150, I'd recommend doing some of the larger South American cichlids, like Uaru amphianthancoides or hypselecara temporalis. Them have a small group of eartheater cichlids, like geophagus altifrons, tapajo, tapajo II, pindare, etc. then doing some smaller accent cichlids like cleithracara maronii, aquidens pulcher, krobia xinguensis, gymnogeophagus meridionalis. And then finally do a couple large school of cories, like Sterbai and agassizi, as well as a couple schools of tetra species, like lemons, bleeding heart, cardinal, black neon, rummy nose, diamond, etc. then, also adding a couple larger catfish species like hoplo cats or porthole cats.

I have a similar mix in my 75 and have had some success. I would save the dwarves for smaller tanks, as they seem to get lost in big tanks unless the entire tank is void of larger fish

Great advise!

Freakgecko has a great point but to answer your question, yes they can be compatible it depends on the individual fishes attitude. Try to aim for trio 1m/2f or pairs. And be ready to remove any hyper aggressive individuals. Most aggression will be between species and IME it's never to bad, the exception will be spawning most Cichlid species are very protective of their fry and may need to be placed in a separate tank. I have mixed several species with no problems.

I'd actually avoid smaller dwarves in a larger tank. I've had no luck with keeping any apistos in my 75 with my new world cichlid community. I do have a young mikrogeophgus ramirezi that is doing well.

Wow! Youve given me ALOT of fish to check into. I definitely want to make the most of my 150 guess it makes sense to leave the dwarfs to a smaller tank-duh! I want a variety of fish with alot of color-are there any above that you mentioned that are a "must have" in your opinion?

Wow! Youve given me ALOT of fish to check into. I definitely want to make the most of my 150 guess it makes sense to leave the dwarfs to a smaller tank-duh! I want a variety of fish with alot of color-are there any above that you mentioned that are a "must have" in your opinion?

Sorry for the late reply...

This is gonna come down to availability and what YOU like. My best advice is do google searches on the species I listed. From there, write down the ones you like and that'll seem to fit well into your tank. Do more research on those species. Usually, this will lead to other similar species, thus expanding your knowledge. This is what I do and is quite successful for me. After you've gotten some species, go to a few local fish stores and see what they have in stock.

Back
Top Bottom