Any Dwarf Gourami Experts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not having luck with Dwarf Gouramis. I just added one to an established 10g last Saturday and I don't think he's going to make it. I have heard of the virus that can affect DG's and I am starting to think he has it. He's breathing heavily on the bottom and won't swim around much. I put an airstone in but I don't think it matters much since he has to go to the top to get air, which he does occasionally but promptly goes back to the bottom. He was eating when I first got him, but he was always reluctant to swim after I got him home...but not when I bought him of course. They were the healthiest DG's I had seen in quite a long time, so I decided to take a chance.

The only thing I have done to the tank was a standard dose of Prazi Pro and metro. The water parameters are fine at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 10 nitrates. The water may be harder than gouramis would like but I don't think it should be affecting him like this.

My question is are the sunset and honey (colisa chuna) more hardy than the other dwarfs? (colisa lalia)

10 gallons is a little small for dwarf gourami. They are labyrinth fish, so I wouldn't worry too much about breathing from the surface. What are your temperature, pH, and hardness?

I must admit this is the first time I've heard of 10g being too small for a dwarf gourami, but I'm sure a 15 or 20 would be ideal. Of course a bigger tank would almost always be ideal. I'll have to see if I can find my test kit for water hardness, I only remember that the water was on the hard side at perhaps 16 dkh. The temperature is 80 degrees. pH 8.2.

The chuna are not as susceptible to DGI as the lalia .I believe they could still have it but not in the % the lalia do...
A 10g is pretty tight for all gouramis but maybe the croaking vittata.
Who else is in with the DG?

Look into 'licorice or croaking ' gouramis..They will fit much better with the tetras..They are about the same size..
I can only remember a common name of another I can't find info ,but it was called 'flamingo honey' and never grew over an inch...
I am not a fan of the dwarfs [ lalia ] as even though smaller they are some of the meanest gouramis..

I really wanted sparkling gouramis, which is what I think you are referring to, but I have never seen one in person.

Back
Top Bottom