Any hope for a rescued fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently rescued this cichlid (I think it it a blue lab..please correct me if I'm wrong). She was the only female in a tank of 8 males. She is in quarantine right now. Is there any chance for her tail fin to grow back? She just sits at the bottom on the tank and hides. What is her quality of life? I don't want her to be stressed and suffer.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1432481385993.jpg
    1432481385993.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 111
Sorry hit the post button instead of the attachment button. Here's the other picture.

Attachments

• 1432481432076.jpg
    1432481432076.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 98
That looks like a pretty serious injury. I doubt the tail will grow back. You need to have very very very pristine water quality so that she doesn't get an infection. She'll probably end up having a stub as a tail, but as long as she can move and the tail heals properly then I think she *might* be able to survive. Good luck! It's so cool of you to do this.

As Nils said, water quality needs to stay as best as you can keep it. My LFS has a red jewel right now just like this that got chomped by a gar. Its QT'd and is actually growing back slowly. Just keep your eye on it. If it seems to be suffering, or unable to swim for food, it may be beet to euthanize.

Jesse

Thanks for the input. I have dosed some melafix and my water conditioner has aloe in it. I plan on doing partial water changes at least every other day. She does swim "normally" but doesn't go far from the bottom of the tank. I haven't seen her eat but the pellets are disappearing so assume she is.

Give her time - have rescued several bettas and they take time to de-stress. If she is eating there is hope. I wouldn't euthanize just yet - the medication you have done is fine I wouldn't overdo it unless something changes. Just keep the water quality great and let her hide she has had a rough time.

Give her time - have rescued several bettas and they take time to de-stress. If she is eating there is hope. I wouldn't euthanize just yet - the medication you have done is fine I wouldn't overdo it unless something changes. Just keep the water quality great and let her hide she has had a rough time.

I only dosed melafix once and I have been doing partial water changes ever other day. I'm staying away from the tank as much as possible and she seems to be less stressed. Only time will tell at this point.

Back
Top Bottom