any idea what these are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldwaterfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got given these as a present and have no idea what they are.

They really donthe job with alge

ForumRunner_20131027_195820.jpg

Looks like a little flying fox I think they call em ... Or Siamese algae eater

Hope you don't have him in cold water. !

Waters about 18°c and i have 6 of them in a community have a feeling gonna have to get rid even tho i have not a spot of alge in the tank and they have grown pretty quick

That's not a flying fox. It's a Chinese algae eater and they will get aggressive once they get bigger...

What's the diff between Chinese and Siamese ? I've made this mistake before

difference in looks? the easiest way to tell is that siamese have bold stripe down there side and chinese is more blotched. siamese get 6 inches and are more peaceful chinese get upwards of 11 inches and can be extremely aggressive when put in small tanks. even a 55 gallon will cause them to be aggressive and people buy them all the time for 29 20 and even 10 gallon tanks

your fish is a siamese not chinese. it will get about six inches and should be in a minimum of 55 gallons when it matures

This is the Siamese algae eater

Attachments

• image-246597496.jpg
    image-246597496.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 101
Your fish has more of a sucker mouth than the Siamese and yours has small vertical stripes along the long horizontal stripe. Yours fits into the profile of a Chinese algae eater...

In UK we call them sucking loach. Very tough little fellas as far as temperature is concerned. I read an article where some 'tropical' fish were tested for temperature tolerance. Sucking loach were even placed in iced water and, although a little stunned at first, started swimming about normaly after a short while! Don't try that at home though!

Do not put them in with other placid fish

Came down this morning and my fancy fan tail and commt and 8 minnows had been stripped down to the bone.

Minnows had heads bitten off and my commet and fan tail had no fish and loads of scales had been removed. I fish all the time and it actually upset me the state of the fish as they were still alive.

They have been flushed and good riddence to them after all that i only have a few fish left now out of about 20.

actually gutted as i had my gold fan tail for a few years and was tiny when i got him. To see him with no fins and in that state was really upsetting. Glad to be rid of them algea eaters now they deserved to be flushed. Worse thing is pets at home are telling people they need a few of them. When i drained the tank down to the gravel to remove them one had a golden head and was about 5" long. I had never seen him in the tank before and was going nuts at my hand when i was trying to get him out.

Back
Top Bottom