any ideas what's wrong with my dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had my dwarf puffer just over a week. It's been eating everyday but it hasn't eaten since Monday. It ate about 7 brine shrimp. Yesterday it kept glass surfing and wasn't interested in any brine shrimp or bloodworms. And it doesn't want to eat today and just lies on one of the leaves in the tank.

The usual question........how's the water test. I know little about puffers but others might be wondering as well.

I don'r see salinity in that list of water parameters.

What about PH and temp??
Just to throw this in..the first website I went on said any amount of nitrates can be deadly to puffers. I don't know much about puffers except they have very specific care requirements. Do you have lots of decor in the tank for the puffer to explore?

Just trying to help get through some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would check pH and try some pond snails as all puffers love snails.

Puffers can become bored so rearranging the tank every so often can entertain them to keep exploring.

Many puffers are also wild caught and can come with parasites. You can try soaking his food in PraziPro for a few days and see how he reacts.

Caleb

I agree with what has been said. If you have only had him for a little while it could also be him just adjusting to the tank. Treat with Prazi, that's what I'd do right off the bat. Try feeding often, don't give up.

I did another water test and my nitrite has gone up to 1,0mg/l. I'm guessing that's the reason it wont eat? I'm doing daily water changes but what else can I do. It's still swimming around but it's showing no interest in food.

I have a 30 gallon planted tank it could go in but I have other fish in that tank and it may be hard for it to get any food because my angelfish usually eats all the live food I put in

Back
Top Bottom