Any thoughts on Paradise Fish (Paradise Gouramis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at the LFS the other day looking for more fish for my 75 gallon community and for my 55 w/the very mean Jack Dempsey. I noticed some fish there labeled as Paradise Gourami's and after doing some searches I noticed they're also called Paradise Fish in a lot of places. Anyway, they were absolutely beautiful fish to me, but the lady told me they would definitely not be a good fit for a community tank. I'm wondering exactly how big they get and if a ten gallon would be too small for them. I moved the convict I had in the ten in with the Jack Dempsey and they seem to have reached an understanding at this point. I plan on re-arranging the decor to destroy any territories and hopefully they'll get along even better. Basically, the convict goes where ever he wants and stays out of the Dempsey's way.

Anyway, here's a pic I found of the Paradise Fish so people know what I'm talking about.

redparadisegourami.jpg

I've kept these. They aren't true gouramis, but they are labyrinth fish, and they can be quite fiesty, especially the males.

10gal is too small for adults, which hit 3-3.5". They are fairly active swimmers, mid-top dwellers.
They tend to nip at any fish with long fins, and two males will chase each other to establish dominance.

I never had a problem with my paradise fish in my 75 gal community that housed lemon tetra, yo yo loaches, corys, and about 18 tiger barbs. I'd get no more than 3 of them, preferably 2 females and 1 male...but def avoid 3 males.

My community has glo-lites, black neons, black skirts, von rios and cories. I've also got a dwarf gourami in there as well as a pair of kribs. I was planning on keeping it by itself, but after looking around it does appear the 10 will be too small and I'll have to look at something else for that tank.

I have 3, 2 F, 1 M. I love them, they are really beautiful fish. They do get a bit big and a bit fiesty though.

I am moving mine into a 20 gal with a school of glass cats.

malkore how are they not a true gourami, i think they are all labrynth fish (with maybe the exception of dwarfs) i cant think of a gourami that isnt labrynth.

hc - all gourami's are labrynth, all labrynths are not gouramis (ie: the betta is a labrynth, but not a gourami).

I've got a 20g that I've got some swordtails in and I could easily move them to the 10. I may just use the 10 to breed guppies in. Maybe I can keep some of the fry I've got now and breed them with some pet store ones.

Back
Top Bottom