Anybody know anything about Pomatostegus stellatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pomatestegus stellatus (the Star Horseshoe worm)

Had this guy for about three years now. It's grown from a very small tube worm to about 3/4" in diameter with a hard calcerous tube about 3 or 4" in length. I've gotten some additional babies off it as well. Just wondering if anybody knows much about them or anything more than I've been able to find?

img_1237341_0_eba9beedbd28775f753a0707fcebb5b1.jpg

Based on Shimek's description I'm inclined to believe its a member of family Serpulidae, which would make it a "hard-tubed feather duster", but don't think it is either a Christmas tree worm or a Coco worm.

Not much info on these . . . but I was able to find the following;

Star feather worm Pomatostegus stellatus (Abildgaard, 1789)

Description:
This feather worm has a double fold of radioles that form a U-shaped crown. The opening of the tube has a simple lid (operculum) that consists of a series of discs. The tubes are hard, calcareous. The color of the crown is variable, most common are shades of red, orange, yellow or white. The crown can be almost uniformly colored, or banded.

Size:
Whole animal up to 10 cm, crowns up to 4 cm.

Habitat:
This feather worm occurs all over the reefs. Tubes usually encased in living coral.

Depth:
Ranges from 3 m down to 30 m.

Distribution:
Common all over the Caribbean.

Couple good pictures and some more info on this website;
Marine Species Identification Portal : Star feather worm - Pomatostegus stellatus

Back
Top Bottom