anyone ever have issues with ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frank98284

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i am starting a new 20gal tank i used the media from a 10gal that was cycled but after i fired up the new tank i found out that i have .25 ammonia in my tap water. any idea what to do i have mollies in the tank

I could have been trapped in the medium. Just watch it should be be gone in 24 hrs. Did you just switch the medium? What about filter and filter cartridge?

Moved rocks and plants i was going to also move filter but wife pulled it out before i could stop her the ammonia is the tap water i found this out by testing tank then doing a 30%water change and stil having a .25 ammo reading then tested the water straight from the tap at .25 i still have a .25 reading 24hrs later

Ya know i have a 55gal cycled tank with two 30/60 filters so why cant i just move one of them over to my 20 gal to help that cycle along and put the 20gal filter on my 55gal tank it will still be good because it still has one good established 30/60 filter on it

If your filter wasn't moved over to the new tank. Then your going to be looking at a cycle. You substrate and everything has BB on it. Which will seed the new tank and should help quicken the cycle but the bulk of your tanks bio load work horse was in the old filter cartridge. So the only way to upgrade tank size and not have cycle would be to move the old filter to the new tank and run it. If your upgrading filter too. Then run them Together for a few weeks.

Ya know i have a 55gal cycled tank with two 30/60 filters so why cant i just move one of them over to my 20 gal to help that cycle along and put the 20gal filter on my 55gal tank it will still be good because it still has one good established 30/60 filter on it

Bingo! That would work!

Thank you for your help some times i just need a nudge inthe rite direction i am Pissed that i did not think of moving that filter yesturday bcause that how i tvsarted my 55 with the rocks and plants from an old 10 gal thank you again for your help

i still have ammo .5 and doing a water change with tap water i do not think is a good idea because i have ammo in the tap can i use water from the 55

Back
Top Bottom