Anyone Know anything about trimming Mangrove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of using mangrove in the place of a macro algae, in my sump/fuge. Does anyone know how to keep it trimmed, or how long before it would outgrow my cabinet? I have a 125/150G stand. I believe it is called all-glass aquariums, majestic stand but I can't seem to find it online.

From what I just read they don't seem to grow that fast in the home aquarium. If you want to do a little reading this is what I just went through and it has convinced me to pick up a couple this afternoon from BRK. The only reference I could find about trimming was this:

Pruning red mangroves is a sensitive matter, though, and a rather moot point for most aquarists. Even under the best conditions, mangroves really are slow growing for most folks… taking three or more years to even get 2-3 feet tall. If you must trim your tree, be sure to delay any pruning until after the axial tip has branched. Damage to the growing tip before it has split can be fatal to young specimens.

Read the article it was very interesting and I think I'm going to do the inline setup in the bucket next to my tank so I can have a nice plant to enjoy as well. I have enough light put off from my MHs that I shouldn't have any trouble growing them next to the tank. I think I will start out with them on the PVC stand described in the article in my sump until they start to grow a bit and then do the bucket or maybe another inline style setup.

Hope that helps.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php

I read that article and found it very interesting. I think when I buy another home, I will work on a way to incorporate the "garden" look near my tank.

Back
Top Bottom