Anyone tried this? Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanted to know if anyone has tried to leave the female Betta to care for the eggs and fry?
Two of my bettas are currently breeding and I wanted to leave the female in. She is helping with putting the eggs into the nest and iv bred her before with no problems. The male, iv never bred before and he is one of the most aggressive.
The only problem is that I'm a bit of a softy :S lol and I wanted to give the male a go and there's SO!! many eggs haha the first time I bred this female there was 300-400 eggs, the only place I have to put them would be some in the 10 gallon tank with 2 day old fry or in the 20 also with 2 day old fry (spawned at the same time lol)
What do you think? Should I try it out?

Female Bettas

I wanted to know if anyone has tried to leave the female Betta to care for the eggs and fry?
Two of my bettas are currently breeding and I wanted to leave the female in. She is helping with putting the eggs into the nest and iv bred her before with no problems. The male, iv never bred before and he is one of the most aggressive.
The only problem is that I'm a bit of a softy :S lol and I wanted to give the male a go and there's SO!! many eggs haha the first time I bred this female there was 300-400 eggs, the only place I have to put them would be some in the 10 gallon tank with 2 day old fry or in the 20 also with 2 day old fry (spawned at the same time lol)
What do you think? Should I try it out?

It is not all that uncommon for more experienced females to help put the eggs into the nest. HOWEVER, it's a rare instance for a pair of Betta Splendins to both raise a brood. The male could turn in a second and kill the female if she can't hide from him. In nature, the female departs once the egg laying is over. It's a genetic thing that probably hasn't changed even with domestication.
As an experiment, if the female isn't one of your best breeders, try it but make sure you have plenty of places for her to get away and hide. Seperating some of the eggs to go with the female will most likely yield nothing so she must stay in the spawing tank with the male. If she's one of your prized fish, I wouldn't chance it.
If you don't mind potentially losing the spawn, try taking the male out and leaving the female. Worst that will happen is that she will eat the eggs or the fry once they hatch.

Hope this helps...(y)

Lol already left the male in there iv never gas trouble with egg or fry eating males XD I'm blessed ^.^ iv only bred 5 of my males but never had problems hehe

Lol already left the male in there iv never gas trouble with egg or fry eating males XD I'm blessed ^.^ iv only bred 5 of my males but never had problems hehe

Huh???:confused:
I don't get what's funny or the direction of your comment. I thought we were talking about females raising babies.

Back
Top Bottom