Anyone use Sea Chem's Purigen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 46 gal freshwater tank and the Nitrates is too high. I have a hang on the back filter and an undergravel filter. I've only had this aquarium for two years but I know not to vaccum out too much of the good bacteria. This past week I did three 16 gal water changes but the Nitrates is still around 80ppm. I heard about this product called Pruigen. Has anyone used it? Does it work?
If so, do you have to use it all the time or just until the Nitrates is lower?
The amonia and nitrites level is zero, I just have issues with Nitrates. My local fish store said to do water changes. But the Nitrate level lis reduciing sooooo slow I'm looking for anything else to help.

what is your stocking list? high nitrates that are hard to control is usually because of overstocking. Purigen will help, but has to be used 24/7, if you are over stocked and only use it to lower nitrates then take it out, then your nitrates will just rise again.

also if your nitrates are at 80 ppm id suggest a 50% water change to get it down to 40ppm, then after an hour id do another 50% water change to get it down to 20 ppm. id then wait till tomorrow to do another 50% water change, and your nitrates should be around 10-15 ppm, you should always keep it below 20 ppm as anything higher is harmful to your fish

I don't remember much about ug filtration- I haven't used it since my first foray into fish keeping back in the 80's, but others here use them and can help with that.

When I was having a problem with nitrates it was triggered by removing my jungle of stem plants. They soak up heaps of nitrate naturally.

The way I got my nitrates under control was with BIG twice weekly water changes during which I moved everything to suck all the muck out of the substrate and under rocks etc. I don't know how that would relate to your situation, where the purpose of ug filtration is to collect muck under the substrate?

As far as the purigen, I use it and its great- especially for water clarity. Just be aware that when your tank becomes balanced using it, if you stop using it, the balance will be thrown off again.

It's better than carbon, because its reusable and because once its absorbed its capacity, unlike carbon, it doesn't release the toxins back into the water.

I don't think Purigen affects nitrate levels at all, nor will it have a noticeable effect on them staying down. Also, your bacteria are mostly in your filter, not your substrate, so you can vacuum as much as you would like.

As previously stated, your stocking is the most important factor. Also, check your tap for nitrate.

I don't think Purigen affects nitrate levels at all, nor will it have a noticeable effect on them staying down. Also, your bacteria are mostly in your filter, not your substrate, so you can vacuum as much as you would like.

As previously stated, your stocking is the most important factor. Also, check your tap for nitrate.

purigen wont effect nitrates directly, however it does absorb nitrites, which will cut down the amount of nitrates being produced.

I don't think Purigen affects nitrate levels at all, nor will it have a noticeable effect on them staying down.

I've found that purigen definitely has an impact on nitrate levels in the tanks where I use it (when I had to remove it to medicate, I ended up with a spike)

Also, your bacteria are mostly in your filter, not your substrate, so you can vacuum as much as you would like.

Does this hold true for under gravel filtration?

From how Seachem describes it, Purigen has only minor affinity towards ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, and instead targets nitrogenous organic products. But these organics aren't the main source of nitrate in an aquarium. If you're having trouble keeping nitrates below 40 ppm, Purigen is not your answer.

And while vacuuming will probably not do the UG filter any favors, the HOB should provide enough redundancy to keep ammonia in check.

Maybe the UG filter is starting to leech nitrates back into the water? Especially if its been running 2 years without being cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom