Anyone use the MegaFlow Sump Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw that AGA makes a MegaFlow sump filter system. The cost for the Model 4 is $259 at Dr. Foster&Smith. I have a 150 gal. with a 30 gallon sump. I am currently using a 30 gal. aquarium that houses my heaters, pumps, and skimmer.

Everything works o.k. but I have a micro bubble problem in the display tank and I think that the sump is my problem. The water rushes in the sump pretty fast with nothing to calm it down before it goes back into the tank.

My question is this worth it or are there other alternatives that are better? Would this solve my bubble problem?

I have the Model 2 on my 75. I removed the bioballs and the trays and use live rock rubble on the bottom with some chaeto. I use a Mag 9.5 for the return. I also bought the Megaflow kit which works well. You can aslo build your own durso standpipe http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ . This may help to control the bubbles. The one thing you need to do is measure the height and width of the Megaflow sump you get. I got mine when I got my tank and the only way it would fit is through the top of the stand. Hope this helps.

bubbles in the sump can be taken care of without using a $260 acrylic tank. Just put something around where the water enters the sump. I use some LR piled up around the outlet and my water drops almost 15ft. Just have the LR come up out of the water so the bubbles will be dispersed. You could use a small container. I tried a 1/2 gal pitcher that worked well at first. If you have water flow over or through some sort of wall, it works just like the bubble trap on most commercial sumps. You don't need or want bioballs in a reef tank anyway.

Back
Top Bottom