Anyone used this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of picking up a prefilter for my 29 gallon so I don't have to worry about shrimp getting vacuumed up. I came across this on aquabid:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?filteration&1391442601

And I was wondering if anyone has used this type of prefilter before. The design seems genius, but I'd love to hear another opinion.

Edit: for not knowing how to use the app

I have a couple of very similar items. They tend to come apart quite easily, at least, mine do. They're made by rolling a sheet of SS mesh into a tube and inserting the ends into the vinyl caps. But nothing is glued, soldered or otherwise permanently fixed, so they come apart very easily. They also clog fast, because the mesh is so fine. I prefer coarse foam prefilters myself.

Wow, glad I posted before purchasing! I'll stick with foam or nylons instead. Thanks very much for the reply.

NP. I thought they were really cool when I first got them but I soon got very tired of cleaning them and putting them back together.. and those vinyl caps get beat up and worn out too, so they hold less and less well as time goes on.

If they were soldered together and bit coarser, they'd be nice, and I have seen some like that, but they're more expensive.

NP. I thought they were really cool when I first got them but I soon got very tired of cleaning them and putting them back together.. and those vinyl caps get beat up and worn out too, so they hold less and less well as time goes on.

If they were soldered together and bit coarser, they'd be nice, and I have seen some like that, but they're more expensive.

I was wondering a bit what kind of adhesive had been used and whether it was aquarium safe. Sounds like none! And I'm not sure paying much more is worth it for just a pre filter.

Do you have a recommendation on where to look for the foam sort? I tried one off of Amazon made by fluval but it was just a bad fit on my intake pipe and really slowed my filter down.

What filter are you using ? I have Aquaclear 70s, which have a fair size uptake tube. Finding prefilters for them isn't easy, but some of the sponge filters fit their uptake tubes and they work fine as prefilters.

Sponge filters come in several sizes, so if you can find one the right size, just slide the tube into the upper opening of the sponge. You'd have to plug the bottom of the hole with a bit of sponge or floss or something, as the hole goes all the way through on a sponge filter. Or if the uptake tube is long enough, simply leave the base on the sponge filter and leave the upper fitting for the air hose off. Then slip the uptake tube into the top hole.

Smaller uptake tubes may fit the sponge prefilters made for Marineland filters, which are sold in pairs usually. The three smallest Aquaclears fit these pretty well. Or you can make one yourself out of an Aquaclear or other brand of filter sponge, which I have also done.

Cut the sponge to the right length for what you want, then either cut an X shape in the sponge to slip the tube into, not quite all the way through, or cut out some sponge with scissors or a knife.

I know a guy who soaks a sponge in water, then freezes it in a baggie. Then he drills out the hole with a power drill. It's not a perfect hole, but much neater than using scissors or a knife.

No matter how you make the hole, so long as it slips on the tube and stays in place, it will work. Just be sure that if you end up with a a hole that goes all the way through, plug the end with something. A piece of the trimmed off sponge works best, or a piece of filter floss works too.

Save your money and use cheap panty hose. It will last months and you can cut it as you need it.

And it comes in colors. ?

Thanks for the sponge advice, fishfur! I do indeed have the AC 70, so it's got a pretty big intake pipe like you were talking about. If I decide to go for a sponge prefilter I will definitely look into what you suggest.

Darkside, I actually found your DIY post about using nylons earlier today. I may try that first and see if it drives me crazy or not. : ) I'm hoping as my stem plants grow in you won't see it much anyway....

Back
Top Bottom