Anyone with green tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3. One of them is constantly chasing the other two. He is literally driving them up the wall. The only way the chasing stops is when I feed them. Is that how they "play" or is this a bad sign? will the chaser stress the other two barbs?

Thanks for all and any advice.

5 more would make things better. Cuts the aggresion down in larger groups. How large is the tank?

The tank is a 30 gal. I also have 4 tetra serpaes, and 1 red tail shark. I will probably purchase some more tiger barbs at a later time.

Thanks.

I got 3 of them a while ago. The larger of them did the same thing, and actually killed the smaller 2 (he was only a little bigger). I took him back to the store.

dammit that sucks. These 3 are all exact same size...one is just crazy.

ime, the larger school didn't make a difference for me. I had 5 tigers, 5 green, and 5 albino, and they still fought all the time. I finally gave them to a local guy for some ramshorn snails, I needed the tank space real bad at the time. I miss them though, I will probably get more for my big tank later on down the road.

I have 6 regular Tiger Barbs and while they chase each other here and there, it's nothing that causes problems. I did have a case recently where one chased the other 5 all the time and you could tell the others were stressed by their faded color. I quarantined him in a breeder net inside the tank for around 24 hours and he actually straightened out. I've had no problems with them since.

lol are you telling me they are trainable. Yea this guy doesnt give up the chasing until it gets dark and they all just "idle" together when its dark. One of the barbs found a spot he hides and its no fun cause he sits there in the plants scared to come out except when I feed them, than they all behave. At this moment I cannot buy any more fish and you can see why in this thread: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=96954. Hopefully in a few weeks my tank will be stable so I can add a few more tiger barbs.

LOL... I know what you mean. I had that problem with the one chasing and I actually posted here. Someone posted back about the locking him up for a bit and I tried it. It worked for me... I swear! :)

You could transfer him to a QT for a while, and then reintroduce him. As the newcomer he might calm down a bit...
Best solution is what Rich suggests though: up the numbers.

Barbs are like boys in corridors at school: a lot of shoving but nothing serious! lol

I had some years ago, ahven't seen any in awhile though, sounds liek there establishing a pecking order to see who's the elader and who's the followers

I have 5 regular tiger barbs in a 55, 3 males and 2 females. For a couple of weeks all is well, then the males start chasing the females and the other males for a week or two (they spawn frequently during this time) and then it stops. Would probably be better to have 2 males and 3 females, as the females dont chase anyone. I bet a lot of people end up with more males than females as most people pick the more colorful fish at the LFS which are usually the males. If you do add some more try and get some females and that should help a bit.

Now this is interesting. Came home from work today and noticed that all three tiger barbs were out in the open. Usually the two barbs that were getting chased would be hiding behind the plants. It seems the chaser just stopped chasing out of no where. He sees them, but doesnt show any interest in chasing anymore. Lol what happened here? Hopefully it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom