API GH and KH test kit interpretation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought an API GH and KH test kit. For the GH I got 7 drops which says it equals 125.3 and for the KH I got a 10 which equals 179.

I have Blue Botia, Blood Parrots an Algae eater and a juvenile Bichir. From what I can gather from the fish range recommendations it looks like I need to lower both these numbers?

I was just wondering what GH and KH numbers I should aim for? The instructions say I can do partial water changes to get the KH down. It also said to used deionized water to lower the GH. Is there any way to deionize the water naturally when you fill big tanks. Like is there some kind of water filter I could add directly to the house tap?

Since it was API they were really pushing their products. Such as the PH up and down and the water softener pillow. I’ve heard these make for unstable water chemistry in the future? Didn’t know if this was safe to use or not.
Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.
The Instructions that came with the API test kit said that for the fish I had I needed to lower both GH and KH. It gave different species of fish and recommended ranges for them. The numbers I had were according to them out of range.

I would take what you read with a grain of salt. Are you trying to breed fish? If not I wouldn't worry about your hardness at your levels.

Just regular community tank no breeding.

I figured I’d check the GH and KH as I’ve never done so before. My tap water can sometimes have a lot of junk in it so I thought I’d check those levels. I wasn’t sure what range I needed to be in.

You are at the low end of moderate hardness on your GH reading. Not a problem for the fish you have. And good buffering for your pH (KH level). [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom