API KH and GH Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adobe1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The instructions for the API KH test say to count the drops until the sample turns "bright yellow." Seems a bit vague -- how do they define BRIGHT yellow? There is no color comparison card chart provided.

My test sample is a very pale/light yellow after the 1st drop. I can keep on adding drops to make it more yellow, but then I don't know when I've reached bright yellow -- seems very imprecise.

The starting color after the first drop should be a light bluish for kH. If it changes to yellow after the first drop, that means you have a very low kH. it sounds like your kH is so low that you never see the blue so you don't have any change in color to observe.

The starting color after the first drop should be a light bluish for kH. If it changes to yellow after the first drop, that means you have a very low kH. it sounds like your kH is so low that you never see the blue so you don't have any change in color to observe.

I would agree. Reading through your low ph thread I would conclude this is the reason you are having ph issues. Kh protects ph fluctuations and will raise it on some cases. You didn't put enough crushed coral in to your filter. You need a lot. The coral will erode from the acidic water which will release carbonates in to the water. Kh means carbonate hardness so increasing carbonate hardness increases Kh and stabilises ph.

Hope this helps.

Edit: also the bacteria consume Kh during nitrification. Probably why your ph dropped as low as 6 during your cycle. Lots of ammonia = lots of need for Kh.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt replies. I knew KH was low before getting the kit, but just thought I'd like to have a quantitative measurement -- guess it's so low it's beyond the scale of the kit.

Yes, I'll add more crushed coral. I was just worried about overshooting and making the pH rise too fast.

I have low kH too. I was looking for a way to increase kH without increasing pH. How much does crushed coral in the filter add to the pH?

It depends. You can't know for sure. But it will bring stability. In my case it didn't raise ph, it just prevented it from falling. My Kh went from about 3dkh to about 8dkh using about a cup of coral.

In my case, currently I am seeing an increase in pH but no change in kH. Last night, I increased crushed coral in my filter to 1 tbsp. Next morning, pH increased to 6.6 (from 6) but no change in kH (still <1). How long should I monitor before adding more crushed coral?

In my case, currently I am seeing an increase in pH but no change in kH. Last night, I increased crushed coral in my filter to 1 tbsp. Next morning, pH increased to 6.6 (from 6) but no change in kH (still <1). How long should I monitor before adding more crushed coral?

I have a full fluval 206 tray of crushed coral in my canister. You need to add more seriously

Back
Top Bottom