API master expiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I'm just getting my tank up and running again. I noticed my API master kit liquids say they expire next month. I know at times things are good past expiry date. Anyone have any experience with this I would rather not have to invest in a new master kit right

Hi I'm just getting my tank up and running again. I noticed my API master kit liquids say they expire next month. I know at times things are good past expiry date. Anyone have any experience with this I would rather not have to invest in a new master kit right
They should still work, but they may give you a bad reading too. My test kit dosnt expire till "12 2021" but the nirate test expired early, gives me a reading of 0 every time. I don't think that's possible

It will not give you as accurate readings. The expiry date is usually a good indicator of when the chemicals inside the bottles might lose their properties, form new compounds and/or simply dissolve in the air or something else.

They should still work, but they may give you a bad reading too. My test kit dosnt expire till "12 2021" but the nirate test expired early, gives me a reading of 0 every time. I don't think that's possible

Getting 0 usually means you are not doing the test right? Were you shaking the #2 bottle in the nitrate test before you added drops from it?

I would get a new kit dd. I don't use mine much ,but the time you want it you may feel it is important.?

my previous kit was about a month from expiration when I decided to run test, Nitrates didn't show any readings no matter how hard I shook it. so my guess is that expiration date API states is not really conservative one

Thanks everyone for the input. I will need to invest in a new kit ASAP. Starting to cycle the tank today

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom