Api Master Test Kit High Range Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Aston

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is High Range Ph?

Also what is the simple Ph?

I really dont understand it at all.

I know certain fish should be kept at certain Ph's but i dont know why this is?

And why you test for it?

Is good to have your High Range Ph low or high on the chart?

:ermm: HELP!

Thanks

I am not knew to the Api Test Kit but just never use to test it beacuse i didnt understand it but i think it might be important.

Thanks Aston

Most fish will acclimate to any ph. If your ph drops below 6.0 the beneficial bacteria will stop cycling ammonia. All that really matters is that your ph stay stable. But if it is a low range ph fish and you put it in a high range ph tank it will more than likely not breed.

The pH range goes from like 6.0 to 8.8 or something. So basically high range pH picks up where the low range leaves off. pH is kind of important. I'm learning that right now. My pH was at 8.2 and it needs to be closer to 7.0. I have heard fish will adapt to higher pH but if it's too high they will not. Also- things you add to your tank can change the pH. River rock from my river raises pH while driftwood lowers it. You basically want to maintain a stable pH that isnt too high or too low. A fish that has a suggested pH of 6.5-7.0 can adapt to a ph of 7.4 or maybe 7.8, but 8.2 - it will not. I learned that yesterday. Lost 2 tetras because of it. I suggest keeping an eye on your pH. Especially if you are adding a new decoration to it.

API's ph test kit go from 6.0 - 7.6 low range and from 7.4 - 8.8 (high range) All this means is they give you a wider area to test unlike alot of other ph tests.
It has nothing to do with fish breeding. If a fish lived in 6.2 ph and was introduced to a ph of 8.3 it would more than likly die of shock if not acclimated correctly.

Back
Top Bottom