Aptasia? Soft coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this?

Attachments

• image-2806062355.jpg
    image-2806062355.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 142
  • image-645633205.jpg
    image-645633205.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 140
Doesn't look like Aptasia. It's usually clear and with longer tentacles/smaller crown. Some kind of polyp?

AquaRick said:
Doesn't look like Aptasia. It's usually clear and with longer tentacles/smaller crown. Some kind of polyp?

So I have a volunteer soft coral of some kind? What is it?

Basically, but more serious than that. Open wounds exposed and eye rubbing are the most common ways to fail. Google "palytoxin poisoning" images and links. It's pretty scary stuff and at least worthy of note so that you can tell the ER doctor the right info. ;)

HN1 said:
Basically, but more serious than that. Open wounds exposed and eye rubbing are the most common ways to fail. Google "palytoxin poisoning" images and links. It's pretty scary stuff and at least worthy of note so that you can tell the ER doctor the right info. ;)

But that's only if I touch it or is that poison in the water?

They produce a slime that is toxic. Don't frag without gloves and eye protection, it is best if you have possible tiny cuts on your hands to wear gloves when handling them. Basically use common sense when digging around in your tank.

Well it was spreading like a weed so I took the rock out and put it on the deck out back to kill it..

Bloomk said:
Well it was spreading like a weed so I took the rock out and put it on the deck out back to kill it..

You would be amazed what aptaisa can live thru

Back
Top Bottom