Aquaclear 50 vs Fluval C3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I was browsing the interwebs for filters and I found the Fluval C3. I'm very familiar with the Aquaclear 50. I'm looking for opinions on the C3. From the pictures, it doesn't look like like there is much room for a bag of Chemipure and/or a bag of Purigen. I'm also curious as too if they work as well as the AC50.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I was browsing the interwebs for filters and I found the Fluval C3. I'm very familiar with the Aquaclear 50. I'm looking for opinions on the C3. From the pictures, it doesn't look like like there is much room for a bag of Chemipure and/or a bag of Purigen. I'm also curious as too if they work as well as the AC50.

Thanks!

I haven't used the C3, but, from looking at the picture, it looks like it locks you into using proprietary Fluval media. I doubt (but I could be wrong) that you could use Purigen in it. You certainly can in the AC50: I do, myself.

Interesting side note: Hagen owns Fluval - http://usa.hagen.com/ourbrands

Why they felt a need to make a second HOB filter that strongly resembles their extremely popular Aquaclear series is beyond me. :blink:

I haven't used the C3, but, from looking at the picture, it looks like it locks you into using proprietary Fluval media. I doubt (but I could be wrong) that you could use Purigen in it. You certainly can in the AC50: I do, myself.

Interesting side note: Hagen owns Fluval - http://usa.hagen.com/ourbrands

Why they felt a need to make a second HOB filter that strongly resembles their extremely popular Aquaclear series is beyond me. :blink:
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking about the C3. I think they could have built a little better Aquaclear. I'm just looking at all the possibilities for a filter lol.

I dont see much difference once all the media is removed. The c3 looks smaller and more narrow though so maybe just stick with the aquaclear if you are worried about media customization.

I'm a diehard Aquaclear fan, but read this thread on c-series filters. I'm gonna try one!

Last edited:
Try again, edited... Have fat fingers.
Worked for me after edited.

Try again, edited... Have fat fingers.
Worked for me after edited.
That worked. I wish I saw that before... Lol I just ordered my equipment today. I guess if I see one in a store I'll pick it up

I am a big fan of ChemiPure and with the AC filters I have no trouble fitting it in. I wonder with the C series if a bag of that would fit? If I were to add purigen, the pre-bagged stuff, it that would fit too. I only use purigen if there is tannins in the water. I'm not sure I would use it as a primary filter ingredient, if you will.

I guess the other question is if i get a C series, for my 20gallon long, what would be better? The C3 which is 20-50 gallons or the C4 which is 40-70 gallons?

Just looked at a C4 at lfs today.
I prefer 10x turnover per hour, the C4 puts out 254gph so well over 10x.

Thanks, gonna definitely get one next time. Looking at getting my grandchild [emoji6] a new 40b, will pair with finnex 24/7 planted +se I believe.

Least killifish, endlers, pygmy cory's, and large colony of mystery [emoji222] .

Back
Top Bottom