AquaClear 70 loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought an AquaClear 70 yesterday and I put Vaseline on the impeller shaft and the impeller itself, but it makes noise when it’s on the low setting, but is quiet on the high setting. I don’t mind keeping it on the high setting, but I feel it’s too much flow and surface agitation so I’m thinking about ordering an impeller for the AC 50 and putting it in the 70 to reduce the flow a little bit or maybe I should order a new AC 70 impeller.

I have the same filter and it's really quiet. The only noise i get is occasional rattling if the lid isn't on properly.
What's making the noise? Impeller? If so, and you just bought it, i'd try to return it for a replacement.

Can you raise the water level in the tank to reduce the surface agitation? Flow shouldn't be a problem with that size HOB and your tank size.

Aquaclears are noisy for a few weeks until the impeller gunks up. You also have to make sure the lid is secured in just the right position / The intake tube needs to be firmly seated and the flow lever needs to be postioned to the far left, max flow setting. If the flow is too strong for your tank, attach a foam sponge to the intake strainer.

I once had a silent AC50 and a terribly noisy one (brand new). I swapped the impellers and the result was two pretty quiet filters.
Getting an AC50 impeller sounds like a good idea. Nice to have a spare.

Back
Top Bottom