Aquaclear 70 Output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a little concerned about the output on my Aquaclear 70 filter. I have it turned down all the way, but the current that it creates is pretty high and I've noticed that it kind of pushes the fish down when they swim by it. Today one of my new rainbows kept swimming against the current as if he was determined to get through it but of course he couldn't. Is this something I should be worried about? The fish seem fine otherwise. I have a 55g tank so I know the filter is not overkill. Thanks.

I have the same filter on my 46 bow. Unless the fish seem stressed by it, I wouldn't worry. None of mine seem a bit bothered and it has been this way for quite some time. You can always put up a bar of some sort, so that the water hits it first so it is a bit more dissipated. Maybe something like a flat bar, the water would go over all sides, or an uptake tube sliced in half that way it has to run down the length before it gets out. ?? Just a thought.

My glowlight tetras were getting pushed around some in my new tank (same size and filter). The push on them dropped a lot when I raised the water level, so if your level is low, that might help. Some fish books will say how much current a given species likes, so maybe check for whichever species of rainbow you've got?

I've had the same setup on my 55 gal. I think the fish actually like the current. Mine seem to and when I switched over to a more powerful canister they would swim by the current as well(some would get blown around too!!) To be honest I think the fish like it...if they didn't they could go to the other side of the tank :wink:

In a 55, if the fish were bothered by the current they could easily avoid it. A fish swimming in the current is doing it on purpose, because they want to.

If you think its bothering the fish, you can cut out the middle of a 20 oz soda bottle and put it around the output. Here is the link to the pictures, so you'll see what I'm talking about. If you cut out the whole middle part, it should fit on the AC70. I did that for my AC20 because my betta was getting sent into a whirlpool.

I also have an AC70 on my 55g and the only time I had a problem was when I added my cannister filter (too much current between the 2 of them). I stuck a sponge in front of the output so it wouldn't be too much.

Back
Top Bottom