Aquarium background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwinOne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it be okay/ safe to put a stone backslash in my aquarium if I used silicone? It's a 125 gallon long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1484495968017.jpg
    1484495968017.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 103
hopefully other people with more experience can chime in. But if you use the aquarium safe silicone, I don't see why not. The only issue is with drying time, in an established tank, what will you do with the fish and decorations? I think the cure time is over 24hrs. Also, some stone will have an effect on the PH over time. Is it painted now? You could consider putting it on the outside (backwards) to let it show through! Then you have nothing to worry about! (maybe excess weight is another consideration?) Good luck!

I have 8 other tanks I could move them to. 2 of them being 150g. The back is already painted. I was just wondering about the stuff they use to hold the rocks together. And if it had any chimical that could be harmful. Maybe that should be a question for the store I get it from.

Are you talking about using actual rock and glueing then together as a background?

Ive always wanted to do something of the sort. A while back i saw someone shape styrofoam like stacked rocks and sealed it with aquarium safe paint and put it up against the back glass. Less weight and not as much depth taken from the tank as the rock scape they made was basically half rocks.

I was thinking about using actual rock backslash that you get at like home depot or something. I'm not good at carving stuff from foam.

I hear ya. Well if you use such items i guess id just say make sure what is in the material as far as chemicals and adhesives. Perhaps youll have to seal it with aquarium safe chemicals first.

I bought aquarium silicone from home depot (or lowes) to fix a crack in a small acrylic tank once. That is a pain to work with though. I can't imagine doing a big area... I think you'd be best scraping the paint off the back and doing it on the outside.

Well I'm pretty good with silicone. I build aquariums. I was just wondering about using the stone backslash.

Post pics if you do it! Sounds like a cool idea. If you use the same silicon you use to build your aquariums, should be fine!Just check the type of rock and see if it changes the ph. good luck! :)

First thing you would need to find out if the stone your looking at was treated with anything , second be sure to use aquarium safe silicon. but f I remember right most of the stone they sell like tile is treated your best off calling manufacturer over getting a answer from a sales clerk that will tell you anything, another concern would be the weight of the stone on the back glass.

Last edited:
I believe so as well. Much thinner, less weight but im still worried about the chemical breakdown of the whole layout. Again sealing it perhaps?

I figured that's what u were referring too.... idk what it's really made out of or what chemicals were used to treat it...probably be okay if u knew a way to completely seal it..but idk 4 sure

Sounds like a cool project. My concern would be the weight of the stone, you don't want an extra 100 pounds sitting on the edge of your bottom glass. If the stone is thin, like tile is, I think it would work...good luck.

Back
Top Bottom